Saturday, August 24, 2019


Post # 121 – Come, Follow Me -- Week # 22 -- “Continue Ye in My Love”
Dear Family and Friends
Amid my students, the older kids during the week- days. And then the baby and my grandsons at night … I will try to get this post written today. It has been a crazy week. The baby is five months old and of course she wants to touch everything… especially my computer😊 she was trying to reach it with her tiny toes!! Have you noticed how much smarter and able babies are these days??? 

They can hold their heads up sooner, sitting up sooner, crawling sooner… and so much more… so much earlier than my own children and even older grandchildren did… amazing!!! The Lord said that He would be saving the best and the brightest for last because we would be needing their strength, so we must teach them to be spiritually strong!!! I have found that this is something that we can do best if we are spiritually strong ourselves😊
The children of the world will one day become the leaders of this world. What kind of leaders do we need?  Not what kind of leaders do we want – but what kind of leaders do we truly need??? We – each one of us are here to help the children – it doesn’t matter if they belong to us or not, we can still have an influence in their lives😊  You know, I am here to help each one of you to do that through our scripture study together and through the talks that I share with you😊

Don’t forget to begin your daily scripture study with a prayer so that you will have the Holy Ghost with you as you study. He is always the ‘helper’ that you need😊 I can share with you all of the information, but the Holy Ghost is the real teacher!! The Holy Ghost will testify to you of the truth of all things! We cannot rely on our own understanding, because as humans our understanding is limited. It’s time to dive into our lesson. We will be covering John 15 – 17😊 this first part comes right from the manual:
Today we call it the “Last Supper,” but we don’t know if Jesus’s disciples fully realized, when they gathered for the annual Passover feast, that this would be their last meal with their Master before His death. Jesus, however, “knew that his hour was come” (John 13:1). He would soon face the suffering of Gethsemane, the betrayal and denial of His closest friends, and the agonizing death on the cross. Yet even with all of this looming before Him, Jesus’s focus was not on Himself but on ministering to His disciples. He humbly washed their feet. He taught them about love. And He reassured them that, in one sense, He would never leave them and they need never leave Him. Disciples then and now find solace in His promises: “I will not leave you comfortless” (John 14:18). “If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love” (John 15:10).

 This was an activity we did in class out instructor wrote the numbers 13 through 17 on the board, representing the chapters in John that we read during the week. Then he invited a few of us to come up to write, next to each chapter number, the reference to a verse that we had found meaningful and would like to discuss as a class. It is always interesting to hear what other people find in the same verses that you have studied – different perspectives and needs of each individual at the time they read a particular chapter my find different verses that ‘speak’ to them or ‘jump out’ at them😊

I thought this might be an activity you would like to do with your family. You could have the younger children draw a picture or tell the rest of the family what part they liked best in the verses you read together. Or you might pair up a younger and an older child and have them share together😊 It all depends on your family dynamics and how you would like to discuss these chapters of John with your family. You can have a family discussion with your roommates or neighbors and friends as well😊

We will begin in John chapter 13, when the Savior and His disciples have just finished their supper – the Last Supper they will have with their Savior and friend, Jesus Christ. At this time His disciples did not realize that this would be their last upper together. They did not understand why He was washing their feet at the time He was actually doing it. It was Peter who questioned it, he even went so far as to tell Jesus that he would not let his Master wash his feet.

The Savior is our example of humbly serving others.
To help you and your family members ponder the significance of Jesus washing His disciples’ feet. It might work well to ask a family member ahead of time to play the role of Peter in this account and be interviewed by each reporter – being of course – the rest of the family. Together as family you could search through John 13:1–17 and think of a few meaningful questions that you might ask Peter, if you were there with him at this time. What questions would each of you ask Peter if you were there to interview him?
Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.
And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, to betray him;
Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God;
He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.
After that he poureth water into a basin, and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.
Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet?
Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.
Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.
Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.
10 Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.
11 For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean.
12 So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?
13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.
14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another’s feet. If I have served you, you should serve one another. I have met our needs so you should meet the needs of others.
15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.
16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.
17 If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.


·         What do we learn from this account that might affect how we serve others?


Love is the defining characteristic of disciples of Jesus Christ.
  • What might you do to encourage your family members to be more loving towards one another and towards all people? It might be interesting for you to ask them how they can tell that someone they meet is a follower of Christ. What traits do they notice about the person?  Then together you might want to search through John 13:34–35 to learn how the Savior’s true disciples can be identified. They truly love one another = they have love for all people, just as Jesus does😊
·         34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
·         35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

What do you think that we can each do to make love the defining characteristic of our individual and family discipleship? Try to see people as Jesus sees them. Love and serve them as He would do if He were here😊 How might this teaching influence the way we treat others, including on social media, when no one is watching?

As an individual, a family or group, you have each learned a lot about the Savior’s life this year, during our study together. We have seen (in a video, or in our own imagination – personally, I like to ‘see’ what I am reading😊) or studied about many examples of how our Savior, Jesus Christ showed His love for others. One way to help each one of us individually or with our family members ponder the commandment that is found in John 13:34 might be to get a sheet of paper, fold it in half lengthwise, so you have two columns.


Then write on the left side at the top, these words: As I Have Loved You. You could then ask your family members to list some examples that they recall from the New Testament that illustrate Jesus’s love. On the right side of the paper at the top you could write Love One Another. For this side you can ask your family members to list ways that they can follow His example of love. I hope I made that clear to you as to what to do😊 this next part comes right from the manual:

I show my love for Jesus Christ by keeping His commandment to love.

Jesus had already taught that the two greatest commandments have to do with love (see Matthew 22:34–40). In keeping with this emphasis, love was a major theme of His final instructions to His Apostles. As you read John 13–15, you might note or mark each use of the word love.
You may notice the word commandments repeated frequently in association with the word love in these chapters. What can you learn about the relationship between love and commandments from the Savior’s teachings? What other words do you find repeated frequently with the word love in these chapters? Based on what you learn, consider writing a brief summary of the Savior’s teachings about love.
See also D. Todd Christofferson, “Abide in My Love,”Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2016, 48–51.

Another way to help each one of us to individually or with our family members ponder the commandment that is found in John 13:34 might be to Reading and pondering the words or Singing or listening to the hymn “Love One Another,” Hymns, no. 308, -- Lyrics

As I have loved you,
Love one another.
This new commandment:
Love one another.
By this shall men know
Ye are my disciples,
If ye have love
One to another.

or watching one of the videos listed below would be a good addition to this activity.



Videos on LDS.org about love.
“Love One Another”
Thanks for Filling the World with Love
 “Families Sacrifice, Give, and Love”

Enduring Love

Dayton's Legs
“Preparation of Thomas S. Monson: He Learned Compassion in His Youth”

What if we are not feeling particularly loving toward others, what can we individually – personally do to seek after the gift of love?  For me personally, I always turn to prayer and reading my scriptures whenever I am out of sorts – so to speak😊 I have realized that there are many people who are hard to love. In this realization I have come to the conclusion that most generally, these are the people that need our love the very most!

What does the counsel in Moroni 7:488:26 add to our understanding of this gift?
1.     pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love
2.     Repent --- the remission of sins bringeth meekness, and lowliness of heart;

Moroni 7:48      Book of Mormon
48 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen.

Moroni 8:26      Book of Mormon
26 And the remission of sins bringeth meekness, and lowliness of heart; and because of meekness and lowliness of heart cometh the visitation of the Holy Ghost, which Comforter filleth with hope and perfect love, which love endureth by diligence unto prayer, until the end shall come, when all the saints shall dwell with God.

  • Who do we know that needs to feel our love? You probably wont have to look very far, sometimes within the walls of your own home there is someone who is hurting, lonely, depressed, worried, or whatever the case may be, they are in great need of your love and kindness😊


Love is the defining characteristic of disciples of Christ.
The Holy Ghost enables us to fulfill our purpose as disciples of Jesus Christ.
  • We did this activity in Sundy School. Our instructor divided us into three groups and he gave each group one of the following passages: John 14:16–2715:26; and 16:7–15. He then asked us to look up our passage and discuss together.

·         John 14:16–27                New Testament
·         16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
·         17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
·         18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
·         19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
·         20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.
·         21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
·         22 Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
·         23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will lovehim, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
·         24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father’s which sent me.
·         25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
·         26 But the Comforterwhich is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
·         27 Peace I leave with you, my peaceI give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

·         John 15:26        New Testament
·         26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

·         John 16:7–15                   New Testament
·         Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
·         And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
·         Of sin, because they believe not on me;
·         10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
·         11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
·         12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
·         13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
·         14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
·         15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.




 Discuss with your family and friends what they learn about the Holy Ghost from these passages. Encourage family members to add other insights they find as they explore the scriptures listed below:

The Holy Ghost.
When have you or a family member felt the influence of the Holy Ghost? What objects or visual aids could you show your family and friends that would help your family members and friends understand the roles of the Holy Ghost?

Here are the conference talks that were mentioned in the lesson:
Robert D. Hales, “The Holy Ghost,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2016, 105–7
Henry B. Eyring, “The Holy Ghost as Your Companion,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2015, 104–7
David A. Bednar, “Receive the Holy Ghost,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2010, 94–97
You could study them and then share what you have learned from them with your family and friends😊
  • What do these messages add to what we have learned about the Holy Ghost from John 14–16?
  •  
As we abide in the Savior, we will be fruitful and have joy.
What did you or your family members and friends learn this week from the Savior’s parable of the vine and branches? This next part comes directly from themanual, Come Follow Me for Individuals and Families:

As I abide in Christ, I will bring forth good fruit.

What might it mean to “abide in [Christ]”? (John 15:4). What “fruit” shows that you are attached to the vine, which represents Jesus Christ?

You might want to show a small plant to your family and friends and using it to help your family members and friends to visualize the Savior’s parable. Then after reading John 15:1–12 together with your family and friends, you could discuss what it means to “abide in [Christ]” (John 15:4).

·         John 15:1–12                   New Testament
·         I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
·         Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
·         Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
·         Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
·         I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
·         If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
·         If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
·         Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
·         As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
·         10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love.
·         11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
·         12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

You may want to ask your family members to share how they have found John 15:5 to be true. This statement from Elder Jeffrey R. Holland  and also The video “The Will of God” (LDS.org) might also be helpful in this discussion with your family and friends😊




Abiding in Christ.
Noting that the word abide has connotations of permanence and commitment, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland taught:
“The sense of this [word] then is ‘staybut stay forever.’ That is the call of the gospel message. … Come, but come to remain. Come with conviction and endurance. …
“Jesus said, ‘Without me ye can do nothing’ [John 15:5]. I testify that that is God’s truth. Christ is everything to us and we are to ‘abide’ in Him permanently, unyieldingly, steadfastly, forever. For the fruit of the gospel to blossom and bless our lives, we must be firmly attached to Him, the Savior of us all, and to this His Church, which bears His holy name. He is the vine that is our true source of strength and the only source of eternal life. In Him we not only will endure but also will prevail and triumph in this holy cause that will never fail us” (“Abide in Me,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2004, 32).

The Will of God – You can find it here:
Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are perfectly united, and They want us to be united too.
Just as we were unable to cover all of these truths in one lesson, you probably can’t teach all of the important truths found in John 17 in one discussion with your family and friends either, but here’s a way to help them explore several of them. 



You will most likely find more but here is a short list of concepts from John 17,  for you to discuss with your family and friends:
·         Our relationship with Jesus Christ
·         Jesus Christ’s relationship with His Father
·         Our relationship with the rest of the world
·         Our relationship with each other as His disciples


You could ask family members and friends to choose one of these concepts and to read John 17, searching for verses that are related to it. Ask your family members and friends to share what they learn. I have underlined a few verses for thought, I hope that it is helpful for you😊


JOHN CHAPTER 17
Jesus offers the great Intercessory Prayer—He is glorified by gaining eternal life—He prays for His Apostles and all the Saints—He explains how the Father and Son are one.
These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:
As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.
And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.
And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.
I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.
Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee.
For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me.
pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.
10 And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them.
11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.
13 And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves.
14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.
16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.
19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.
20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
21 That they all may be one; as thou, Fatherart in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.
24 Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.
25 O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me.
26 And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.


Jesus Christ intercedes for His disciples.

Jesus’s words recorded in John 17 are known as the Intercessory Prayer. In this prayer, Jesus prayed for His Apostles and “them also which shall believe on [Him] through their word” (John 17:20). That means He was praying for you. What did Jesus request from His Father in behalf of you and all other believers?
This prayer also teaches profound, eternal truths. What truths do you find as you read it?

How are Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father one?

In His prayer in John 17, Jesus emphasized His unity with the Father, but this does not mean that He and His Father are the same being. When the Savior prayed that His disciples may be one “even as”—or in the same way that—He and His Father are one (John 17:22), He was not asking that the disciples become one being. Rather, His desire was for them to enjoy the same unity He has with the Father—perfect unity of purpose, heart, and mind.

Here you can find a Family Home Evening lessons on Love One Another: http://www.ldsfamilyfun.com/fhe/lessons/fhe_loveanother.htm

For next week encourage your family members  and friends to read Matthew 26Mark 14Luke 22; and John 18 during the coming week, in these chapters you will read about one of the pivotal moments in God’s great plan of salvation. When you are teaching your family members and friends be sure to: 

Invite the Spirit. “No mortal teacher, no matter how skilled or experienced, can replace the Spirit. But we can be instruments in God’s hands to help His children learn by the Spirit. To do this, we invite the influence of the Spirit into our lives and encourage those we teach to do the same. … Sacred music, the scriptures, words of latter-day prophets, expressions of love and testimony, and moments of quiet contemplation can all invite the presence of the Spirit” (Teaching in the Savior’s Way, 10).


These Ideas for Family Scripture Study and Family Home Evening come directly to you from the manual Come, Follow Me for Individuals and families:

As you read the scriptures with your family, the Spirit can help you know what principles to emphasize and discuss in order to meet the needs of your family. Here are some suggestions:
What does our family learn from the example of the Savior in these verses? In what ways can we follow His example?
As you discuss the Savior’s teachings about love, consider also these words from President Thomas S. Monson: “In today’s world, nowhere is that bedrock foundation of love needed more than in the home. And nowhere should the world find a better example of that foundation than in the homes of Latter-day Saints who have made love the heart of their family life. … Love is the very essence of the gospel, the noblest attribute of the human soul” (“As I Have Loved You,” Ensign or Liahona, Feb. 2017, 4–5).
Your family members may enjoy drawing pictures or writing on paper hearts something they love about each other. They could place these hearts around the house as a reminder to show love for one another.

It might be fun to read these verses outside next to a vine, a tree, or another plant. How does this activity help your family members better understand the Savior’s teachings?
Jesus taught, “I am the vine, ye are the branches” (John 15:5).
Why do you think Jesus Christ warned His disciples of persecution? How are disciples of Christ persecuted today? How can the Savior’s counsel in these verses help us when we face persecution?
How has Christ overcome the world? How has His Atonement brought us peace and cheer? (see also D&C 68:6).
How can our family be more united as Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father are united? Why does the Lord want us to be united? (see also D&C 38:27).
For more ideas for teaching children, see this week’s outline in Come, Follow Me—For Primary.

Well my dear Family and Friends – here we are yet again at the ed of a wonderful lesson on love --- you felt that did’nt you? The overwhelming love of your Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ --- for you as you studied these chapters of scripture in John??? Heavenly Father loves each one of us so very much that He gave up His Only Begotten Son for each of our sake's, so that we could return to live with Him some day.

And Jesus Christ died to pay for all of our individual sins and transgressions. All we need do it believe on Him, repent of our sins and transgressions, follow His example and His teachings, and endure well to the end😊 We must put our trust in our Heavenly Father and in our Savior, Jesus Christ. We must not allow Satan to derail our faith. If there was a tie when the world needed our Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ it is NOW!!! 




As always, my dear family and friends, please do remember who you are – tat each one of you are a child of God – no matter what your age. Remember also, that your Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love each one of you – They know each one of you individually. They know your individual struggles and heartaches. They know your strengths and your weaknesses. They know your heart and your mind.

They know your past, your present, and what your future could be😊 They are waiting for you to reach up in prayer. Until my next post continue with your prayers, your scripture study – and be sure to share with your families, your, neighbors and  your friends what you are learning😊 There are so many people in this world that truly need to feel the love of our Heavenly Father and or our Savior, even Jesus Christ.

They are just waiting for each one of us to take that first step and come to them in prayer. I guess I have rambled on enough for today, I hope you are all going to make it a terrific week and my prayers are out there for each one of you that you might listen to the Spirit and take that first step towards repentance and baptism  -- you won’t be sorry that you did😊




No comments:

Post a Comment