Sunday, October 20, 2019


Post # 139 -- Come, Follow Me – Week # 36 – 2 Corinthians 1–7 -- “Be Ye Reconciled to God”

Dear Family and Friends

I hope that you are each having a wonderful week😊 I have found a great Christian radio station that I listen to whenever I drive – it helps me to keep my focus on Jesus Christ. My mind tends to wander into other places when I can listen to songs about my Lord and Savior😊My mind doesn’t tend to wander so much as when I am listening to other people share their testimonies through their songs. 

It is also very uplifting to listen to this type of songs,  It is also very uplifting to listen to this type of songs, that are not hymns. Now, don’t get me wrong – I love the hymns we song in church and I sometimes sing them to myself as I am driving down the road😊

If you are feeling low, discouraged, lonely, lost, or even upset, mad or angry, maybe you should try it.  I don’t think that you will stay that way for long after you have sung through a hymn or primary song or two. My favorite go-to song is ‘I Am a Child of God.’ Just knowing the words to hymns is really beneficial you know.  Years ago, I was on my way to work one morning, it was probably around 3:30 -3:45 a.m., I know it was way too early, right?



I was working as a cook in a convalescent home and I had to be to work by 5am. I had to cross through about three ravines while traveling to work a couple of towns away. I was moving right along when the brain n my Jeep quit working I was stuck at the bottom of one of the ravines right on a blind curve and right next to the river that ran through the ravine

I am not a fan of being in the dark in a precarious spot on a two-lane road. My first thought was – “oh, no, what if one of those water haulers come around that turn too fast and they don’t see the car – until it’s too late! I knew that those trucks traveled quite fast on this road and they probably couldn’t go too fast across that bridge and around the curve too fast but logic was not in my brain at that particular moment I prayed a lot and sang primary songs and the one or two hymns that I knew. This happened a few months after I had become a member of the Church of Jesus Crist of Latter-day Saints😊

I can’t remember just exactly how long I was sitting there, but I will tell you that my imagination was working overtime with all of the sounds in that ravine! As I was sitting there in the ‘quiet’ and praying, I had the impression to try the car again to see if it would start. I got it started and got up the hill and just outside of the next town when the car quite again.  I had just got the car the car off onto the side of the road, when a semi-truck went by me, followed by another, and still another!






Immediately a prayer of thanks went out to my Heavenly Father. I was so grateful that my first thought had not become my last. I was and still am grateful to know the words to a few hymns and primary songs that I could sing to myself that morning. I am sure I would have been a basket case of worry and let fear take over where faith was allowed to be.

You do know that faith and fear cannot reside with you at the same time, right? If I had stayed in that ravine, I would probably not be here to tell you the story. But, since I am and this story came to my mine, I thought maybe I was meant to tell it to you. This was a short little trial for me, but one that has taught me a lot. I have tried very hard to never let my fears overtake my faith.

I have trusted in the Lord and held fast to my faith. I am far from being perfect. In fact, I am the most unworthy of His servants. I feel like I am such a slow learner and so forgetful – even more-so now with the chemo brain added into the mix😊 I know that the Lord listens to and answers my prayers. I know that our trials are usually blessings in disguise😊




 I always tell my co-workers, friends and even family members that ‘I am like a bad penny, I keep turning up.’ That is kind of like me with my prayers, my scripture study, and family home evening – when my children were older, but still at home.  I would wait for my husband to get home, so that he could join us. He never really did, but sometimes he would stay in the same room if the children would ask him.

Then pretty soon he stopped coming home in time or he simply stopped coming out of his room My husband went through a long period of depression where he would not even come out of his room. I think even after the depression was gone this was his habit to shut himself off in his room and only come out when he needed to do so

 I don’t know about your children, but mine depended upon their dad for the example to be with and follow for the most part. They still look to him for his example and his guidance. Oh, but I am rambling too much again I guess my point in bringing this up is to share with you the fact that I know that I am not very good at these things but I kept trying to do them because these are things that the Lord has asked – or maybe even something that we have been commanded that we do.  




I also believe that in doing these things on a regular basis has made such an impact in my life and hopefully in the lives of my children. Anyway, I digress a bit I guess😊 I have gotten off track many, many times, but I do my best to get back in the habit of doing these things on a daily basis as much as I can. I have struggled to find a good way for me to study the scriptures, but I keep on trying – so, if any of you have something that works well for you – please share with me😊 

I do believe that my life is better, my days go better when I am able to study my scriptures ( especially the book of Mormon😊), say my prayers, and attend church and partake of the sacrament.
As I look back it seems as though that over the years I kind of got into the bad habit of just taking the sacrament without giving it much thought because when you don’t know better you cant do better. I have learned so much in the past 8 or 10 years – things that I wish I had known sooner so that I could have put them into practice that much sooner. 

I believe that the Lord knows when we are ready for the nest step in our line upon line, precept upon precept, and maybe I simply wasn’t ready for it then😊 Oh, hey, let’s get right into our lesson. Today we will be studying second Corinthians chapters 1-7. 




Our instructor will always ask us each week – well, every other week😊 if we want to share ideas or experiences that we have had during the week as we have studied. Or if we have ideas or experiences related to the topics of our study for the week. This week we were asked to share on what things we do that make our scripture study effective or if we found something that makes our scripture study more effective for us.

I have tried many things over the years – many ideas, many ways, trying to make so that my scripture study is more meaningful and more effective for me. I believe that some key elements of my scripture study have become: 1.) to say a prayer before, during, and after my study. In praying, I am seeking the Spirit of the Lord for guidance and instruction as I study. 2.) to write down my thoughts and feelings that I have as I study my scriptures – for this reason I always try to keep a pen and paper or journal handy to write my thoughts and feelings down as they come to me😊

Let me see, here are a few more things to add to my list of things that help me: 3.) I have learned to look for patterns and lists of things, and things that are repeated are important. I also have learned to look for comparisons – for blessings, commandments and for consequences. I know the scripture that says blessings are determined by your efforts to attain them, is very true. We are blessed for our obedience to the commandments. 4.) I have learned how helpful it is to use the study helps that are in our scriptures: the footnotes and the references that are with them, the Joseph Smith Translation is very helpful in clarifying some passages in the Bible.




I do have a few more things that I have tried and some that I know have worked well for me though I  guess that is enough to get you going, I will share more on this topic of scripture study in a later post so that I don’t distract you too much from our lesson. I hope that I have not left you hanging on this topic at all, for this was not my intention. Just know this, any way that works well for you do it! and if you get side-tracked by life, please get right back at it😊 It is so important that we know the word of the Lord!!!
This next part comes directly from our Come, follow Me for Individuals and Families manual:
Sometimes, being a Church leader means having to say some difficult things. This was true in Paul’s day just as it is today. Apparently a previous letter from Paul to the Corinthian Saints included chastening and caused hurt feelings. In the letter that became 2 Corinthians, he tried to explain what had motivated his harsh words: “Out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote to you with many tears; not that ye should be grieved, but that ye might know the love which I have more abundantly unto you” (2 Corinthians 2:4).

When you’re on the receiving end of some correction from a leader, it definitely helps to know that it is inspired by Christlike love. And even in those cases where it is not, if we’re willing to see others with the kind of love Paul felt, it’s easier to respond appropriately to any offenses. As Elder Jeffrey R. Holland counseled, “Be kind regarding human frailtyyour own as well as that of those who serve with you in a Church led by volunteer, mortal men and women. Except in the case of His only perfect Begotten Son, imperfect people are all God has ever had to work with” (“Lord, I Believe,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2013, 94).




Our trials can be a blessing.
You know maybe there’s someone in your family, your neighborhood, or amongst your friends who may be experiencing a difficult trial. The experiences Paul described and the counsel he gave in 2 Corinthians can help you, your family members, friends and neighbors to think about the blessings that can come from their individual trials.

With your family members and friends, you may want to share an experience about how a trial blessed your life or what you learned from someone else who endured a trial. After that you could take a few minutes to review 2 Corinthians 1:3–74:6–10, 17–18; and 7:4–7 together as a group with your family members and friends.
You might ask them to listen as you read, for what Paul taught the people about the purposes and blessings of trials.

Then you might ask your family members and friends to share with your group a certain teaching that was meaningful to them – or you could share with them an experience or testimony related to that teaching. This next section for personal scripture study comes directly from our Come, follow Me for Individuals and Families manual:








Ideas for Personal Scripture Study
My trials can be a blessing.
Given the tribulation that Paul faced in his ministry, it’s not surprising that he wrote a lot about the purposes and blessings of tribulation. Think about ways your trials can be a blessing as you read 2 Corinthians 1:3–74:6–10, 17–18; and 7:4–7. For example, you might ponder how God “comforteth [you] in all [your] tribulation” and how you can, in turn, “comfort them which are in any trouble” (2 Corinthians 1:4). Or you might focus on the light of Jesus Christ that “hath shined in our hearts,” even when you are “troubled” and “perplexed” (2 Corinthians 4:6–10).
See also Mosiah 24:13–17; Gospel Topics, “Adversity,” topics.lds.org.

You might want to consider pondering how trials can bless our lives, including by reviewing Paul’s teachings found in 2 Corinthians 1:3–74:6–10, 17–18; and 7:4–7. In reviewing you could write down some ways of how Paul’s teachings might apply to afflictions you or they have or might face in their own lives.

Here is something that you might consider singing together with your family members and / or friends, one of their favorite primary songs and / or hymns that testify of the comfort and blessings Heavenly Father and the Savior offer us in times of triallike maybe “How Firm a Foundation” (Hymns, no. 85). After singing together, you might ask your family  members and /or friends to look for a phrase in 2 Corinthians 1 and 4 that they feel fits the message of the hymn.




We receive blessings and bless others when we forgive.
You all can probably agree that we’ve each had experiences in our individual families when someone has “caused grief” to us or our family (verse 5). It may do us each well to search 2 Corinthians 2:5–11, looking through these verses for some counsel from Paul about how we should treat someone who has offended us, or who we think may have offended us. 

We could also take another look at the verses in Luke 15:11–32John 8:1–11; as well as the following quotation by Elder Kevin R. Duncan:
Seeing others as God sees them helps us to forgive.
Elder Kevin R. Duncan taught: “One key to forgiving others is to try to see them as God sees them. At times, God may part the curtain and bless us with the gift to see into the heart, soul, and spirit of another person who has offended us. This insight may even lead to an overwhelming love for that person” (“The Healing Ointment of Forgiveness,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2016, 34).

We searched these verses and read this quote that we may learn more about how we should always treat those who have sinned. Here is a great question for you: How do we harm ourselves and others when we are unwilling to forgive? This next section for personal scripture study comes directly from our Come, follow Me for Individuals and Families manual:

Ideas for Personal Scripture Study
I receive blessings and bless others when I forgive.
We don’t know much about the man Paul referred to in 2 Corinthians 2:5–11only that he had transgressed (see verses 5–6) and that Paul wanted the Saints to forgive him (see verses 7–8). Why do we sometimes fail to “confirm [our] love toward” someone who has offended us? (verse 8). How does withholding forgiveness harm others and ourselves? (see verses 7, 10–11). What does it mean to you that withholding forgiveness from others gives “Satan … an advantage of us”? (verse 11).






Through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, we can be reconciled to God.
Many people come to church with a desire to feel closer to God, and a discussion of 2 Corinthians 5:14–21 can help them. To begin, you and your family members and friends should take a look at the meaning of the word reconcile. You may want to begin here by looking up the word reconcile in a dictionary. Here are a few more questions for you to consider:
·         What insights does this provide about being reconciled with God?
·         What additional insights do we gain from the entry “Atonement” in the Bible Dictionary?

·         How do these insights help us to better understand 2 Corinthians 5:14–21?
At this point you may want to share with your family members and friends your own feelings about the Savior, whose Atonement is what makes it possible for each one of us to be reunited with God. This next section for personal scripture study comes directly from our Come, follow Me for Individuals and Families manual:
Ideas for Personal Scripture Study
Through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, I can be reconciled to God.
As much as anyone, Paul knew what it was like to become “a new creature.” He went from being a persecutor of the Christians to a fearless defender of Christ. He knew for himself how Jesus, who “knew no sin,” can take away our sin and give us His “righteousness,” restoring us to unity with God. As you read these verses, think about what it means to be reconciled to another person. How does this help you understand what it means to be reconciled to God? Ponder what might be separating you from God. What do you need to do to be more completely reconciled with Him?





Godly sorrow leads to repentance.
In searching through 2 Corinthians 7:8–11 we will find that here in these verses is  a helpful explanation of  what godly sorrow is and  what its role is in repentance.  And now for another question or two: What do we learn about godly sorrow from 2 Corinthians 7:8–11 and President Dieter F. Uchtdorf’s words in the following quote from his talk “You Can Do It Now!”

Godly sorrow inspires change and hope.
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf explained:
Godly sorrow inspires change and hope through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Worldly sorrow pulls us down, extinguishes hope, and persuades us to give in to further temptation.
Godly sorrow leads to conversion and a change of heart. It causes us to hate sin and love goodness. It encourages us to stand up and walk in the light of Christ’s love. True repentance is about transformation, not torture or torment” (“You Can Do It Now!” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2013, 56).

Why is godly sorrow essential to repentance? This next section for personal scripture study comes directly from our Come, follow Me for Individuals and Families manual:




Ideas for Personal Scripture Study
Godly sorrow leads to repentance.
We don’t usually think of sorrow as a good thing, but Paul spoke of “godly sorrow” as a necessary part of repentance. What do you learn about godly sorrow from the following? 2 Corinthians 7:8–11Alma 36:16–21Mormon 2:11–15; and Gospel Topics, “Repentance,” topics.lds.org. When have you felt godly sorrow, and what effect did it have in your life?


If you feel impressed to learn and /or teach more about repentance. You might try this with your family: Write on a poster board the words ‘Repentance is …’. Ask your family members and friends to think of some ways to complete this phrase, using the things they have  learn from 2 Corinthians 7:8–11, as well as from the following  the scriptures, talks and other resources that are listed below:

What is repentance?
·         Ezekiel 18:30–31
·         Mosiah 3:195:2
·         Alma 5:11–2142:29–30
·         3 Nephi 9:13–14, 20–22
·         Bible Dictionary, “Repentance”
·         “Repentance,” Gospel Topics, topics.lds.org
·         Dale G. Renlund, “Repentance: A Joyful Choice,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2016, 121–24




Elder Neil L. Andersen taught:
“When we sin, we turn away from God. When we repent, we turn back toward God.
“The invitation to repent is rarely a voice of chastisement but rather a loving appeal to turn around and to ‘re-turn’ toward God [see Helaman 7:17]. It is the beckoning of a loving Father and His Only Begotten Son to be more than we are, to reach up to a higher way of life, to change, and to feel the happiness of keeping the commandments. Being disciples of Christ, we rejoice in the blessing of repenting and the joy of being forgiven. They become part of us, shaping the way we think and feel. …

“For most, repentance is more a journey than a one-time event. It is not easy. To change is difficult. It requires running into the wind, swimming upstream. Jesus said, ‘If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me’ [Matthew 16:24]. Repentance is turning away from some things, such as dishonesty, pride, anger, and impure thoughts, and turning toward other things, such as kindness, unselfishness, patience, and spirituality. It is ‘re-turning’ toward God” (“Repent … That I May Heal You,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2009, 40–41).

How might we use these teachings to help someone understand how to sincerely repent? This next section for family scripture study and family home evening ideas comes directly from our Come, follow Me for Individuals and Families manual:




Ideas for Family Scripture Study and Family Home Evening
As you read the scriptures with your family, the Spirit can help you know what principles to emphasize and discuss in order to meet the needs of your family. Here are some suggestions:
Have members of your family ever asked someone to write a letter of recommendation for them, such as for a job or school application? Ask them to talk about this experience and what the letter said about them. Paul taught that the lives of the Saints were like letters of recommendation for the gospel from Christ Himself, “written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God.” 

As you read 2 Corinthians 3:1–3 together, discuss how our examples are like letters of recommendation for the gospel that can be “known and read of all men.” Perhaps each family member could write a letter or “epistle” explaining how another family member has been a good example of a disciple of Jesus Christ. They could read their letters to the family and give them to the family member they wrote about. Why is it important to understand that our lives are “epistle[s] of Christ”?

What does it mean to “walk by faith, not by sight”? What are we doing to show that we believe in things we can’t see?



Can your family think ofor findexamples in nature of things that go through remarkable transformations and become new creatures? (see the pictures that accompany this outline). What do these examples teach us about how the gospel of Jesus Christ can change us?
According to these verses, what does it mean to be “ministers of God”?
How can we follow Paul’s counsel, “Come out from among [the unrighteous], and be ye separate,” while also being good examples to those around us?
For more ideas for teaching children, see this week’s outline in Come, Follow Me—For Primary.

For next week we will find out how Paul responded when he prayed to have a trial removed – (have any of you or your family members and friends ever done this – prayed to have a trial or affliction removed?), Paul’s prayer was not answered in the way that he had expected it would be answered.
Well folks, here we are again at the end of our lesson on 2 Corinthians chapters 1-7. 





As always, I hope, and I pray that I have shared something with you today in our study or in my ramblings that has encouraged you or uplifted you in some way. That our study together has been as beneficial for you as it has been for me. I am learning so much. Thank you for studying along with me😊

It is amazing tome that you can learn more each time that you study the same verses of scripture. Sometimes I think to myself ‘was that there the last time I read through these verses?’ I don’t know if you have ever had this kind of experience, but I have had it many times😊 I will be studying s few verses or a chapter and find some golden treasures within those verses or chapters.

Then in reading through those same verses or chapters I will find more golden treasures that I didn’t seem to notice during my previous study of those verses or chapters. I believe that it is part of the learning line upon line and precept upon precept, that I mentioned earlier. Maybe I simply wasn’t ready for those truths – or golden treasures, during my previous study😊 what do you think?






Well, again I am rambling. As always, please remember who you are! You are each a child of God – no matter what your age – you are His child! You are a son or a daughter of a Heavenly Father who knows each one of you individually and personally. I believe this to be true and that is why I always share it with you😊

Knowing this has helped me many times and I am hoping that this knowledge helps you as well😊 I mean think about it – You are a child of God! That statement gives me comfort. Knowing that He will always be there for me. He will always love me – no matter what I do! 😊😊 That knowledge is powerful to me and I hope nd pray that it is powerful to you as well.

Keep studying your scriptures and learning all you can about our Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ – this knowledge will also become a guide nd a protector for each one of us in the very near future. We will need our spiritual lamps to be as full as possible in order to endure what is coming at us in this life. I am afraid this is very true, and we must prepare NOW! Until my next post, please remember to keep praying and remember to make is a great week😊



No comments:

Post a Comment