Saturday, January 16, 2021

  

Post # 275 -- ‘My Peace I Leave with You’




Dear Family and Friends


I have been updating you as things have happened in my life as my cancer continues to do whatever it is going to do. I mention  to you that the cancer that had moved to my pelvic bone had begun to grow. 


Therefore the doctor needed to try another type of Chemo drug for my chemotherapy. They need to give you the treatment for four cycles before they know for sure if the new treatment is working. 


Prior to this we had to  wait several weeks without any kind of treatment waiting for the insurance to agree with the doctor's recommendations and then approve the new drug. It was quite the wait, especially for my children.


They wanted to begin the new treatment NOW. my youngest daughter was very concerned that the cancer would grow out of control before they began the new treatment. She could not understand why I was not worried about it.


 I tried to tell her that it was the the peace that only the Lord Jesus Christ can give you as He tells us in John 14:27

“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid” (John 14:27).



The following quote comes from a chapter  of the life of Howard W. Hunter who became the President of the Church of Jesus Christ, and our newest living prophet shortly after I became a member. He was not our prophet for very long but he had much to teach us:)


“In a psalm in the Book of Isaiah are these words: “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.” (Isa. 26:3.) This perfect peace mentioned by Isaiah comes to one only through a belief in God. This is not understood by an unbelieving world.”


Anyway, I have felt this peace from the beginning when I first prayed to  know if I should go to the doctor's about the red circle on my breast. It is quite amazing what faith in the Lord and prayer can do for you.


Whenever i have some new symptom or side effect the doctor gives me his prognosis. For example, this last visit i told him that i was experiencing more trouble with my neuropathy in  my hands and  my feet. The air from the fan by my bed hurts when it blows on me,


The sheet seems like something heavy is on my hands and my feet causing pain. And it is at least ten times worse on my lymphedema side whenever I take my sleeve and my glove off to put the night sleeve on. My hands just throb with pain. 


Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining. Just stating the facts so that anyone out there knows that it is not just you. I thought I simply was using my hands too much andwalking too much. When i told this to the doctor he said it wasn't just me.


He said we are doing this to you with the chemotherapy. He  told me that  he wanted to keep me alive but this was not giving me quality of life. He said that he would lower the dosage of the drugs they are giving me in my chemotherapy to help.


I asked him if the lower dosage would still keep the cancer from growing. He said he thought so, it has worked in the past. I still felt that peace from the Lord. i ran across this talk about that very peace that i wanted to share with you all.


President Henry B. Eyring: ‘My Peace I Leave with You’

View 3 more

 

By Rachel Sterzer


For the Deseret News

Updated

25 MAR 2017

7:15 PM MDT

President Henry B. Eyring offered a “simple” message to the women of the Church during the General Women’s Session on Saturday, March 25.

President Eyring, first counselor in the First Presidency, discussed how to find peace “within ourselves, in our families, and with the people around us.”

The same peace the Lord promised to His disciples during His mortal ministry is available to His disciples today, President Eyring said, but in His way, not the world’s.

“But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid” (John 14:26-27).

At times, individuals may long for peace as they face uncertainty or looming challenges, President Eyring said. The lesson the Lord taught Moroni can be “a guide for us all.”

“If men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all [who] humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them” (Ether 12:27).

Just as Moroni “heard these words,” and “was comforted” (Ether 12:29), “they can be a comfort to all of us,” President Eyring said.

Those who do not see their weaknesses do not progress, he explained. “Your awareness of your weakness is a blessing as it helps you remain humble and keeps you turning to the Savior. The Spirit not only comforts you, but He is also the agent by which the Atonement works a change in your very nature. Then weak things become strong.”

All disciples of Christ will have their faith challenged. “Your defense against these attacks is to keep the Holy Ghost as your companion. The Spirit will speak peace to your soul. He will urge you forward in faith. He will bring back the memory of those times when you felt the light and the love of Jesus Christ,” President Eyring promised.

One of the most precious gifts the Spirit can give is to “bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever [the Lord has] said unto you” (John 14:26). “The memory may be of an answered prayer, of a priesthood ordinance received, of a confirmation of your testimony, or of a moment when you saw God’s hand in your life,” he said.

Father in Heaven is concerned not only about His children’s comfort but even more about their upward progress, President Eyring said and quoted Doctrine and Covenants 11:12: “And now, verily, verily, I say unto thee, put your trust in that Spirit which leadeth to do good.”

“Most often, the good He will lead you to do will involve helping someone else receive comfort from God,” President Eyring explained.

The Lord, in His wisdom, brought individuals together in organizations and classes in His Church to increase their power to do good, he said. A young woman, for example, might be asked by her bishop or Young Women leader to reach out to a Laurel who has not been participating.

Success in such an effort, he continued, will take a miracle of change of heart which requires the companionship of the Holy Ghost. “The Spirit can allow you to see the less-active Laurel as the Lord sees her. The Lord knows her heart and your heart, and He knows the possibilities of hearts being changed. He can visit you both with His Spirit to inspire humility, forgiveness, and love.”

President Eyring told listeners that their power to do good would depend on the unity and love that exists among them. “This is another gift of peace that comes through the Holy Ghost.”

Although unity is necessary, “you know from experience, as I do, that such loving unity is hard to maintain,” he said. “It takes having the Holy Ghost as a companion to open our eyes and temper our feelings.”

President Eyring recalled an experience when the Spirit prompted him to exercise patience with his young son. “The unity we seek in our families and in the Church will come as we allow the Holy Ghost to affect what we see when we look at one another — and even when we think of each other.”

The Spirit sees with the pure love of Christ, President Eyring explained before reading Moroni’s description of charity and his exhortation to “pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons [and daughters] of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure” (Moroni 7:45–48).

“This is the goal your Father in Heaven has for you, His precious daughters …,” President Eyring declared. “He visits you with His Spirit to comfort you, encourage you, and inspire you to keep going.”


I pray that you and your family members and friends will do what you need to do to seek after this peace from the Lord. . Be sure to stay close with your family members and friends. Remember to contact them regularly.


Remember who you are -- a child of God with eternal potential. I know that I am not the best example, but I know this to be true. Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ both love each one of you.   Until  my next post stay safe and healthy


No comments:

Post a Comment