Saturday, August 4, 2018

Post # 33 -- Learn of Him

Dear Family and Friends

 I hope this post finds you all healthy and happy. It has been a sort of stressful week here in my world – not so much for me as for those around me, both at home and at work😊 I am sure you all have had those weeks, where things are just so ‘loud’ and so ‘confusing’ all around you.

I sometimes feel so guilty because I can feel so at peace  during my trials and tribulations in my life when everyone around me seem to be totally stressed out and frustrated when troubles come their way. I want you to know that if you are one of the ones that are stressed out or confused in your life when troubles, trials, tribulations come your way or if you have not done it yet – You need to Learn of Him.

Only He can give you the peace and comfort that you desire during the trying times in your life.With that thought in mind I want to share part of a talk with you. It was the First Presidency Message in the March 2016 Ensign magazine. 




“Learn of Me”                          By President Thomas S. Monson
Because Jesus Christ was perfectly obedient and submissive to His Father, He “increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.” ( Luke 2:52.  And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man. Do we have the determination to do likewise? Just as Jesus “received grace for grace,” (Doctrine and Covenants 93:12.And I, John, saw that he received not of the fulness at the first, but received grace for grace;)  we must patiently and persistently seek light and knowledge from God in our efforts to learn the gospel.
Listening is an essential element of learning. When preparing to be taught, we prayerfully seek inspiration and confirmation from the Holy Ghost. We ponder, we pray, we apply gospel lessons, and we seek the Father’s will for us. (John 5:30. I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment as just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of my Father which hath sent me.) 
Jesus “taught … many things by parables,” ( Mark 4:2. And he taught them many things by parables, and said unto them in his doctrine,) which require ears to hear, eyes to see, and hearts to understand. As we live worthily, we can better hear the whisperings of the Holy Ghost, which can “teach [us] all things, and bring all things to [our] remembrance.” ( John 14:26. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.) 
An image of the Wise Men following the star, coupled with a quote by President Thomas S. Monson: “As we seek Christ, … we shall have the Christmas spirit.”
When we respond to the Lord’s gentle invitation, “Learn of me,” we become partakers of His divine power. Let us, therefore, go forward in the spirit of obedience, following our Exemplar by teaching as He would have us teach and learning as He would have us learn.
Here are a few other scripture references that were mentioned in this talk. I wanted to share them with you, just in case you don’t have your scriptures handy right now😊
Matthew 11:29. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

John 3:2. The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
An image of a waterfall coupled with a quote by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland: “Pure Christlike love … can change the world.”

Luke 18:22. Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

3 Nephi 18:16.  And as I have prayed among you even so shall ye pray in my church, among my people who do repent and are baptized in my name. Behold I am the light; I have set an example for you.

Matthew 18:1–3; emphasis added. 1 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven? 2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them, 3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Doctrine and Covenants 88:77–78. 77 And I give unto you a commandment that you shall teach one another the doctrine of the kingdom. 78 Teach ye diligently and my grace shall attend you, that you may be instructed more perfectly in theory, in principle, in doctrine, in the law of the gospel, in all things pertaining unto the kingdom of God, that are expedient for you to understand;

1 Peter 3:15. But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
A blue and green mottled background combined with a quote by St. Agnes: “Christ has made my soul beautiful.”

Moroni 7:41. And what is it that thee shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise.

John 5:39. Search the scriptures: for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Jesus with children
I found this story that I really enjoyed so I thought I would share it with all of you. I hope it inspires you as it has me to learn more about our Savior and His teachings. This story is from the Friend magazine of February 1996. 
Learn of Him
By Virginia Carter

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me (John 14:6).
It was at the well where I first heard the talk. I listened intently as I waited for my turn to draw water. Everyone was talking about him. There seemed to be so many different accounts and opinions. How do I know which is right? I wondered. Can any of this talk be true?

A touch on my arm brought me swiftly back to awareness. “Anna,” my neighbor said, “draw your water.” I took my turn at the well and drew my pitcher full of water. There were so many questions in my mind that I wanted to linger and listen, but it was nearly dark and Mother was waiting. As I hurried along the familiar path home, my mind kept reviewing all the things I had heard at the well.
Some said he was a miracle worker—a healer! He caused the blind to see!
Someone called him the Messiah! Could this be true? Could he be the promised Messiah of the scriptures?
Others said, with scorn in their voices, that he was only a Galilean—and a carpenter’s son, at that! The miracles were only tricks, they told each other. Turning water into wine was just a magic trick done to fool people.
As I was walking away from the village well, I heard someone say “… tomorrow on the hillside above the village.” Did she mean our village? There was only one way for me to know. …
A graphic with a neutral background and a quote from the Book of Mormon title page: “Jesus is the Christ.”
I was up at daylight. I worked hurriedly to finish my chores. Before I was finished, though, my little brother, Timothy, called to me from his bed. “Anna, why are you up so early?”
I went to his bedside and said, “I want to go to the hillside as soon as my chores are done.”
“What for?”
“Come with me, and you’ll see.” I handed him his crutch and told him to get ready.
Timothy has a crippled foot, and I have always been the one, besides Mother, who has helped him.
After my work is done each day, I often walk with him to the street so he can watch the children run and play. Some children come over to speak to him, but others make fun of him. My heart aches for him then, and I try to apologize for their behavior. He always tells me, “It’s all right. They just don’t understand.”
But I can see the hurt in his eyes.
An image of a waterfall coupled with a quote by Sister Linda S. Reeves: “Our Savior has the power to … heal you.”
My chores finished, I asked Mother if Timothy and I could go to the hillside for some sunshine and fresh air. With her permission, I put a little bread in my pocket, and Timothy and I hurried along the path out of the village as best we could. As we walked, I told Timothy all that I had heard at the well.
Soon we saw the people who followed him—I think they were called disciples—gathering on the hillside, more and more coming from all directions. Some seemed excited; some looked very thoughtful. A few had tears in their eyes. I wondered why. My brother and I sat down on the ground at the back of the crowd.
The man I had heard so much about looked strong but gentle too. His face seemed to have a shining look about it. His eyes were full of compassion and love for all the people at his feet.
Then He spoke.
An image of green trees combined with the words “Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed.”
Timothy and I could not take our eyes from Him, and like the others there, we listened in awe. His voice was filled with the same love that was in His eyes, and He said wonderful things!
“Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. …
“Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
“… but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
“… Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
“That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven. …
“After this manner therefore pray ye. …
“Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. …”*
A photograph of a waterfall combined with a quote from Elder Dallin H. Oaks, “He knows of our anguish, and He is there for us.”
With surprise, I suddenly realized that it was nearly evening, and His Apostles were asking the people to go to their homes.
“Anna,” Timothy asked, “can we come again? Can we see Him again?”
“We will come again, Timothy, I promise! There is more we need to know—much more we must learn of Him.”
Timothy did not want to leave, and the others around us seemed to feel the same way. For Timothy—and for myself—I promised once more, “I’ll take you to see Him again, but now we must hurry. Tonight there is much we must tell at home!”
Timothy and Anna learned of Him and His teachings and wanted to get right home and share what they had learned from the Savior with their family and maybe their friends as well. Just like Timothy and Anna, I want to share with each of you what I have learned in my life about my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. 

I know what a difference for good learning of Him and of His teachings has made in my life and I can not think of anything more important that I can share with you. 
A photo of the hand of the Christus statue, with a quote from Elder Dale G. Renlund: “Like the true shepherd He is, He seeks us and finds us to offer relief and hope.”

With this thought in mind I offer the challenge for each of you to take this opportunity to Learn of Him! Get to know Him personally by studying about Him in the scriptures. Read and learn of Him every day. Make the time! you only need fifteen minutes!

I promise that it will be the best thing in your lives if you learn of Jesus Christ and learn of His teachings. Go to your Heavenly Father in prayer to know if what i say is true. Jesus Christ is His Only Begotten Son and He is each of our own personal Savior.


No comments:

Post a Comment