Wednesday, December 18, 2019


Post # 156 – The Miracle of the Pink Christmas Tree

Dear Friends and Family

I found this amazing story that is one that took me on an emotional roller coaster. It is a beautiful story of life, of loss, of love for one another, of service, of miracles and of a pink Christmas tree😊 This story helps us to remember to look for the miracles every day, especially in our worse or lowest times. There are miracles all around us. There are miracles that we help make happen, if we are in tune with the Spirit of the Lord. This story is about our Savior and the peace that only He can give you.

See the source image

  • Donations
  • Leader and Clerk Resources
  • Directory and Map
  • Calendar
  • Missionary Portal
  • Find a Church
All
Top of FoThe Miracle of the Pink Christmas Tree


December 13, 2019



I have a pink Christmas tree. Three short years ago I would have thought it was gaudy and ridiculous. But today it represents to me the best things about Christmas: miracles, love for one another, and, most of all, the Savior.



The story of my pink tree begins with my three-year-old daughter, named Elsie.

My Elsie was innocently naughty in all of the best ways.

She brought home fistfuls of my neighbors’ flowers, she constantly snuck into my craft room to dump glitter on her head, and one time she set a neighbor’s chickens free. She was packed to the brim with life and laughter.



On November 22, 2016, Elsie became entangled in a cord from our window blinds. When I found her, I screamed her name, quickly took her down, and started CPR. She smelled like chocolate that she must have snuck from the pantry.



I sent my son to get help. My neighbor came and administered a priesthood blessing. I remember feeling relief when Elsie took that first ragged breath and her heart began to beat again under my chest compressions. The paramedics swept in and took over the lifesaving efforts, and Elsie was flown in a helicopter to the hospital. For a week at the hospital, she alternately showed signs of progress followed by decline.


See the source image


Miracles

“But behold, I will show unto you a God of miracles” (Mormon 9:11).

There were many miracles surrounding her accident. When I sent my son to get help, my neighbor just happened to be running a little late for work. He just happened to already have consecrated oil in his pocket to quickly administer a priesthood blessing.



The paramedics were stationed about 15 minutes away, but they just happened to be on break at a store only 3 minutes from my home. And I was somehow able to perfectly administer CPR. I had never done CPR before, but I started Elsie’s heart.



When we got to the hospital, Elsie was responding to light and pain, which was good. But she was also experiencing rhythmic, uncontrollable twitches that are common in anoxic brain injuries. She was fevering, and her heart rate was unnaturally high. On top of all that, Elsie was breathing over the ventilator, meaning that for every breath that the vent would give, she would take another on her own, panting like a dog.



But then her siblings came to visit. They talked to her quietly. They painted her nails and painted theirs to match. When it came time to leave, they sang to her “Families Can Be Together Forever.” As they sang, her heart rate returned to a normal pace. Her temperature came down. Her breathing slowed, and her twitches stopped and never came back. Another miracle.



Because of these miracles, I felt we had every reason to hope for an even bigger miracle—a full recovery to show forth the Lord’s power to heal. But when Elsie’s scans came back, they showed very little brain activity, and even that was beginning to decline. We fled to the temple to seek clarity and peace.



In the temple we received the strong impression that Elsie would not live. I was devastated and felt like such a failure. Why was I able to save her only to have her die? Where was my miracle?



Elsie became the missing miracle. The lifesaving miracle we had pleaded for would not be for Elsie but instead from Elsie to others through the miracle of organ donation. She would give to those whose missions here were not yet finished, and she would leave this earth as a lifesaving hero. Our pain would become another’s joy.

See the source image


Love for One Another

A different kind of miracle was happening at our house during the week we spent in the hospital.

I wondered how I could ever feel safe in my home again. How could I come back to the scene of the worst moment of my life?



My wonderful neighbors knew that they could not fix our broken hearts, so they came to my home to fix as many other broken things as they could find—and they didn’t have to look too far to find them!



The first round of neighbors vacuumed floors, washed dishes, tidied up toys, and cleaned bathrooms. As more people learned of the service being done, the miracle grew. Furniture was replaced, walls were painted, new decor and lamps were donated, and sinks and appliances were tuned up or fixed. My friends, neighbors, and even strangers went to work transforming my home until it was bursting at the seams with Christlike love and service.



When we drove home from the hospital for the final time, we found the streets of our neighborhood lined with hundreds of candles lighting our path. It was bitterly cold, yet dozens of neighbors stood outside to sing comforting hymns to us. Many trees were strung with pink lights or tied with pink ribbons—Elsie’s favorite color.



No one asked me what I needed. I wouldn’t have known what to ask for, and I never would have asked for all that I received. But each person came and offered whatever they could to bless our family and ease our burden. They were beacons of light during our darkest hours, the Lord’s hands here on earth.

See the source image


The Savior

One of the things I remember most about that long week is the overwhelming peace that we felt. As we fasted and prayed for peace, it was liberally given. We came to understand what is meant by “the peace of God, which passeth all understanding” (Philippians 4:7). Because of Jesus Christ, we are able to feel peace even in sorrow.

Above all else, my family has more reason now to feel gratitude that Jesus was born. Everything really will be okay in the end because He was born. His birth overcame Elsie’s death. Because of our Savior, we will see Elsie again, and we will be an eternal family.



We long for the Savior’s return with more eagerness, we live with more hope in our hearts, and we remember with more reverence that He gave His life that we might live again. “He is the light and the life of the world” (Mosiah 16:9; italics added).


Image result for free picture of a pink christmas tree


Pink Christmas Trees

In my neighborhood at Christmastime, many yards will have one tree adorned in pink lights. It used to make me feel so happy that Elsie was remembered and honored. But I see now that the real reason for the pink trees is that Elsie helped others remember Christ, serve as Christ served, and love as He loved. She helps us remember that because He came, we will see our loved ones again.



Because those pink trees remind me of Him, they have become the classiest decoration I could possibly have in my home. If you happen to see a pink tree this year, I hope it will remind you of the Savior and maybe of a way that you, too, can light the world this Christmas.








Sunny Mahe lives in Lehi, Utah, but enjoys being able to claim a southern upbringing from Allen, Texas. She enjoys reading, baking treats for her family and friends, and creating messes in her craft room.

See the source image



This story makes me want to have a pink Christmas tree too! I read this story and immediately I wanted to share it with all of you. This story also reminds us of the importance of eternal marriage in the House of the Lord. It reminds us of the opportunity that we can have to see our loved ones who have passed on before us. This story shows us how the Savior’s hands can work miracles here on the earth.

This story shows the power of the priesthood. This story shows us how a neighborhood of friends and stranger alike came together to help a family in need. They showed love for one another just as Jesus has shown by His example while here on this earth. Just imagine how much help each one of us can be if we are listening for the still small voice.  What miracles will you help to make happen today?

I believe that this little girl is busy helping with Heavenly Father’s work on the other side. I was working at a school many years ago for special needs children ages birth to 21. I was part of a pilot program to introduce our high school aged students into the high school for eventual integration. During this time, I was working with a young lady who was crippled up on one side of her body. She walked on her own with a walker. I attended all of her classes with her, one of which was her seminary class.


See the source image


Prior to this time, I had been working with this young lady off and on for a couple of years. I had enlarged her scriptures so that she could read them, one verse at a time. Her vision was very poor. I had much better handwriting back then😊 She had many workers over the years because she was mean to people. She would hit them and spit on them and call out awful things. She would wet her pants while sitting beside you on the bus these were only a few of the ways that she was mean.

I had worked with her very hard on her social struggles. She would do so good for a bit then go back to what was her habit of doing things. I had very long hair at the time and I wore it in braids on either side of my head. One day I was bent over to help her with some reading that she was struggling with and she reached up behind me and grabbed one of my braid so hard she put me on the floor. I think I was shocked more than hurt that she could and would do this to me. I thought we were getting along so well.

Another time she slammed my hand in the desk drawer as I was getting out her work for her to begin. Another time she tried to stab me with scissors. My principle told me that it was probably just an accident. I was there and it sure didn’t seem like an accident on the almost receiving side of a pair of scissors in someone’s hands coming at you and barely missing you On most days she seemed to be a very angry young lady. She really did have a beautiful smile when she had a good day😊

See the source image

One day she got in trouble at the high school and when she came back to the main school the principle came out to get her off the bus and take her into the school. He reached up to help her off the bus and she hit him so hard  that she knocked his glasses off his face and onto the other side of a parked car that was next to the bus that was dropping her off I hate to admit this but at the time I thought to myself – oh, that was just an accident. I definitely had let the devil into my thoughts

Another day she was acting up in our classroom, so she was not allowed to go to her classes she had to stay in our classroom all day. Still another day she had such a fit that all of our students had to leave our classroom at the high school to keep them safe. She tore the entire room apart and was throwing anything that she could get a good grasp on. After this happened, she was suspended for a day. The next day I came to work, and I did a lot of paperwork as I had no student, but I still had to work. I was also an aide on the bus.

When I had finished all of my paperwork, I wasn’t sure just what I should do with the next 50 minutes before the bus came. I asked my supervising teacher if I could go to my students class the next hour. He told me I could, but he was not at all sure if the teacher would or could allow me to attend without my student. I ventured into her seminary class and asked the teacher if I could still attend even though my student was not with me.


See the source image

The teacher was very happy to see me. He asked after my student. I explained what had happened and why she was not there. He invited me to stay. On that day I learned what I believe was a profound truth about my student and about myself. I don’t really remember what the lesson was about, but I do remember what he taught us about those with special needs.

I am not sure if this is written in scripture somewhere, but he told us that he was going to take advantage of the fact that my student was gone on that day to teach us something important about those with disabilities or special needs. You see, He said that these spirits were more advanced in the premortal world and they were sent here to test and help those around them.

He said that they – all of the children born into this world with special needs would automatically go to the celestial kingdom – the highest kingdom of God. At the time I thought that it was unfair because this girl was so mean and hateful to everyone who was around her. I was so new to the Gospel of Jesus Christ that I had a hard time understanding what he was saying.


See the source image

He further explained that these spirits were sent here on their earthly mission of a sort. They agreed to come with the challenges that they faced so that they could help and teach all those with whom they had contact in their mortal lives no matter how long or short they may be. Since that day I am less judgmental and more tolerant and a more repentant soul😊

I believe that our Heavenly Father sees our lives from the beginning to the end. He knows what will happen before it happens. He sends His choice spirits down here to help and teach us. I don’t think that there was anything wrong with this little angel who prompted the pink Christmas tree, but maybe she too was a spirit in the spirit world that knew she was only going to be here on this earth for a short time.

Maybe she knew beforehand what her life was going to be like and how many miracles, she would help create even in her passing out of this earthly life and on to the next life? Maybe she knew that she alone would be the Lord’s hands here on this earth to help Him grant all of the miracles that her passing would allow to come to pass. And of course, she would be able to go home to live with Heavenly Father and help with His work from her heavenly home.


See the source image

I believe that when our Heavenly Father sends us to this earth there are some things that only we can perform in this mortal state. There are some blessings that we alone can be His hands to fulfill. I could be totally wrong in this thought train but, nonetheless this is what I believe. Each one of us has a work to do that no one else can do while in our mortal state and if we choose not to do it then it wont get done. Look at this story and all of the miracles that occurred.

Many people would simply call these things a coincidence, but I agree with the mother, that the Lord had His hand in the mix. Miracles can only happen with His divine intervention and those who allow themselves to be His hands here on this earth. Ever standing ready to act on the promptings of the still small voice. I am sure that the EMT team could have taken their break somewhere else or at a later time. And the person that was late for work on that very day that he was needed.

I don’t know about you, but I can see the hand of the Lord in all of the lives in this story😊 The many miracles in this story😊 all of those neighbors and strangers that were mentioned that came willingly and gave of their time and resources to transform their home into a newly livable place. Allowing this family, a place where they could work through all of their grief and loss without the visual reminders of the tragedy that had taken place.

Wow! I have been rambling an awful lot today. I hope that at least some of it has been helpful and uplifting for some of you. Now, on a serious note, I thought it might be good to share with you The Family: A Proclamation to the World this helps us understand more about the premortal world and how our families should be here on this earth:



See the source image

The Family


A Proclamation to the World

The First Presidency and Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

We, the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children.


All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose.


In the premortal realm, spirit sons and daughters knew and worshipped God as their Eternal Father and accepted His plan by which His children could obtain a physical body and gain earthly experience to progress toward perfection and ultimately realize their divine destiny as heirs of eternal life. The divine plan of happiness enables family relationships to be perpetuated beyond the grave. Sacred ordinances and covenants available in holy temples make it possible for individuals to return to the presence of God and for families to be united eternally.


The first commandment that God gave to Adam and Eve pertained to their potential for parenthood as husband and wife. We declare that God’s commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force. We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife.


We declare the means by which mortal life is created to be divinely appointed. We affirm the sanctity of life and of its importance in God’s eternal plan.


Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. “Children are an heritage of the Lord” (Psalm 127:3). Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, and to teach them to love and serve one another, observe the commandments of God, and be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives—mothers and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations.


The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed.

We warn that individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will one day stand accountable before God. Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.

We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society.

This proclamation was read by President Gordon B. Hinckley as part of his message at the General Relief Society Meeting held September 23, 1995, in Salt Lake City, Utah.

© 1995, 2008 by Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved. Printed in the United States of America.
English approval: 5/08. Translation approval: 5/08. Translation of The Family: A Proclamation to the World. Language. 35602_000

See the source image



I hope that each one of you have enjoyed our time together today😊 I love sharing these wonderful gospel - filled stories with you. I hope that you enjoy them and are benefitting from them in some small way. Remember that you too, like Elsie are a child of God. You are amazing! You have many talents, some that you know and some that you must develop😊


I do believe that we are at the end of our sharing time here today please continue to study your scriptures with me and all of our cyber study buddies. Keep a prayer in your heart when you cannot get on your knees. Do what you can, when you can, to lift and help one another. There is someone waiting for what only you can do for them. You must be ready to act when that call comes to you through the still small voice😊


Pray and read your scriptures every day. Keep sharing what you are learning with your family members and friends😊 I would challenge each one of you to find your own way to Light the World this week. Remember too, it does not need to be a grand or major production to Light the World. You can easily do small and simple acts of kindness to help and lift another during this Christmas season😊 until my next post -- to make it a grand week😊See the source image

No comments:

Post a Comment