Thursday, January 24, 2019


Post # 68 – Come, Follow Me – Week 3

Dear Family and Friends

This week January 14 – 20 we are studying Matthew 2 and Luke 2. I hope that you have taken the opportunity to read these two chapters.  I was thinking after I read this account and I wondered about Jesus and His birth. He was a God, and He agreed to His Father’s plan –to come to earth—not to be born amongst the wealthy or affluent of His day, but to be born in a manger – amongst the hay and animals – because there was no room for Him in the inn. Have you ever really thought about His birth in that way before? I mean I have always known that He was born in a manger, lain in a bed of straw or hay and wrapped in swaddling clothes. He gave up His Godhood (I guess that’s a word😊) to come to earth, to be born in very lowly circumstances, to grow up in as a mere carpenter’s son, then be basically tortured, humiliated and put to death. And He made this sacrifice for each of us – to save us all – one by one!
I believe that we all need our Savior, Jesus Christ. The most important thing we can do in our lives is to open our hearts, our minds, and our lives and make room for Him! Seek Him! The scripture readings for this week teach us about the people who were seeking Him before His birth, the wisemen, the Prophetess Anna, and Simeon. Luke chapter two relates of Joseph and Mary’s journey to Bethlehem, because that was the town of Joseph was from. This chapter tells of Jesus’s birth, of the angel appearing to the shepherds in the field to tell them of the good news. The shepherds went immediately to “find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.” After they had seen Mary and joseph and the Christ child, they went about the land telling or teaching what they had been taught by the angel.

From these humble shepherds we learn that we should share the gospel when we learn it. We can only share what we know right? The angel told the shepherds to “Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.” Then remember after the angel told them they would “find a babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly hosts praising God and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.” Think about this for a minute – we give glory to God by doing His will and giving Him credit for all things, and we have peace on earth and should show good will toward all men. Can you imagine how much different our neighborhoods would be if we praised God more and showed good will toward all men?
The next person in this chapter was a just and devout man named Simeon. He was a faithful disciple who kept the commandments as the scriptures say that the Holy Ghost revealed to him that he would see the “Lord’s Christ” before he died. Mary and Joseph brought Jesus to Jerusalem to present Him to the Lord as was their custom. Simeon was led by the Spirit to go the temple at the same time that Mary and Joseph brought Jesus there “to do for him after the custom of the law.”” Then he took him up in his arms, and blessed God, and said, Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word: For mine eyes have seen thy salvation, Which thou hast prepared before the face of all people. A light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel.”

We learn from Simeon that when we are righteously engaged in the Lords work, we are opened to the whisperings of the Holy Ghost. Also, how important it is when we get those promptings from the Holy Ghost that we should act on them immediately! He was told by the holy Ghost that he would see Jesus before his time to die. Had he not been righteous and keeping the commandments he might not have been I a position to hear the Holy Ghost and may not have been at the temple at the right time to have seen and blessed Jesus. But he had been told that he would see the Child before he died – so that was a promise of the Lord, but had he not been living worthily to have the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost with him he would not have received the revelation that guided him to the temple on 
that day.
Then we learn of Anna, who was a prophetess. There is not too much information on Anna, there are only three verses. She was the daughter of Phanel, of the tribe of Aser, she was an older woman who’s husband had died. She spent all her days and nights at the temple. It says in verse 37 “And she was a widow about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day.” So she loved and served the Lord all her days and nights. The next verse says “And she coming in that instant gave thanks likewise unto the Lord, and spake of him to all them that looked for redemption in Jerusalem.”

I think the prophetess Anna teaches us the importance of serving the Lord and attending the temple as often as our circumstances and health allow us to do so. I love going to the temple and I haven’t been able to go for about a year and I miss it very much. We may not learn much about the prophetess Anna, but she teaches us the importance of serving the Lord and attending the temple and being worthy to receive the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost and also worthy of holding a temple recommend—even if we cannot go very often.

After all these things were done Mary and Joseph took Jesus and went back to Nazareth where they were living. And in verse 40 it says: “And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom, and the grace of God was upon him.” “His parents went to Jerusalem each year at the feast of the Passover. And when Jesus was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast. And when they had fulfilled the days, as they returned, the child Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem, and Joseph and his mother knew nit of it.” Can you imagine having your twelve-year-old son come up missing?
I remember a time when we lived in California, close to Oakland, we lived close to a shopping mall. I had gone there to buy pajamas for my girls. I had them in a two -seater stroller with my older daughter in the back. The younger one was harnessed into the stroller, but the older one was not. I was by myself with the girls and there was a sale going on so there were lots of people there. While I was searching through the pajamas to find the right size, my oldest daughter climbed out of the back of the stroller and wandered away – she was just barely two years old when this happened. I was unaware that she had gone, when I turned around with the pajamas, I had found for her and held them up to her I found her gone. I was scared to death. Just last week in this very same store someone had kidnapped a little girl by taking her into the men’s room and cutting her hair and putting boys clothing on her and they walked right out of the store. So, you can imagine the thoughts that were cursing through my brain.

As I was wondering all around the store with my little one still in the stroller looking everywhere as quickly as I could, asking every person I saw if they had seen my little girl. As I described her to them the tears were streaming down my face uncontrollably. I must have looked a mess, but I didn’t even think about it at the time. I just wanted to find my little girl as I was sure that she must be wondering where her mommy was and why she didn’t come to find her. I felt horrible and I was so scared that I might never see her again! Then a little old lady came up to me and said, “I think I have something that you need.” I was trying to be nice to her and let her speak—I just couldn’t figure out how this strange woman would know what I needed. She said, come here Dearie.” I went over to where she was standing, she turned and beckoned me to come. I followed her down the aisle, and around to another aisle and then she just stopped in front of me.
At that point I was sure I had just followed a crazy lady and I needed to begin again searching for my lost little girl. The next thing she did was to carefully life up a fancy table covering from a small table that has very, very expensive chocolate on it. As she lifted up the table covering, my heart surely skipped a beat of gratitude for there was my little girl safe and sound and a face full of that very, very expensive chocolate. The little old lady said to me, “Sweetie, you had better take her now before that make you pay for the chocolate, it’s awful expensive. All I could think of was how quickly I wanted to get my girls home and close the door and never let them out of my sight again!

So, I scooped my little girl up and held her so close for a few minutes basking in the fact that I had my girls and they were both safe with me, when the little old lady told me again that I should leave the store before they made me pay for the chocolate. So, I took my girls and went home. The next time I went out after my husband was there to watch the girls, I purchased another harness so that both of my girls would be safe and secure in the stroller whenever we went out again! My little girl was quite a bit younger than Jesus was at the time he was missing, but I think I may know some of what they felt with Jesus gone.
As Mary and Joseph were traveling back to their home, they were thinking that he was traveling within their group somewhere. There must have been a lot of their family members traveling together up to Jerusalem for his parents not to have realized that he wasn’t there among them for a whole day’s travel. Then searching throughout all of their family that was traveling with them and they couldn’t find him there. So, they retraced their steps back to Jerusalem and found their son “after three days of him missing, they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions. And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.”

So, let’s see, they traveled one day before they noticed him missing – I can’t even imagine not knowing were my children are for a whole day – and they searched amongst their family members, then they had to travel back to Jerusalem to hunt for him.  And after three days “when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus deal with us? Behold thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing. And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? Wist (knew) ye not that I must be about my Father’s business?  And they understood not the saying which he spake unto them.  And he went down with them, and came to Nazzareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart. And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.”

Even as a youth Jesus was about His Father’s business, which should be an example to us all. yes, especially for the youth – age twelve and up – they can learn of Him and serve Him faithfully in their early years and continue with what their parents have been teaching them. They can grow their own testimony. If they have not been taught as yet, it’s a good time to begin. And then there are the rest of us, no matter what our age --- if we haven’t been taught the gospel of Jesus Christ – its never too late! We can begin right now! We can each learn of Him, have faith in Him, believe in Him, and trust in Him. We can learn about the plan f salvation. We can learn that Jesus Christ is our Savior, and that He gave His life for each of us. He died to pay for our sins and transgressions so that we can one day return to live with Him and our Heavenly Father.
We can learn about our Heavenly Father and know that He loves each one of us, no matter what! We can talk to Him in prayer anytime, anywhere, in good times as well as during the rough patches in our lives. He is always only a prayer away. We can learn about the third member of the Godhead, even the Holy Ghost, who can become our daily companion as we walk through this testing and preparation ground called Life. We can learn about having faith the size of a mustard seed, or even just having a desire to believe these things. We can learn the doctrine of repentance and how that can change our daily lives and know that we can be forgiven of our sins and transgressions through this repentance process. We can learn about baptism, and how this is a necessary step that puts us on the path that will lead us home to our Heavenly Father and His Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ.

And this ends Luke chapter two. I was thinking about how Joseph must have trusted Heavenly Father and often sought for personal revelation as a parent. If you remember, he was warned to take his family and leave as Herod wanted to kill baby Jesus. The Holy Ghost also told Joseph when it was safe to return to his country after Herod has died. You know there are so many physical and spiritual dangers out there in this world that our children, grandchildren and great grandchildren are facing today. I don’t think I have ever been very good at hearing that still small voice of the Holy Ghost, but I jeep trying. I know that the Holy Ghost has been there for me on many occasions when I have been traveling alone with my children and has warned me by prompting me to do something that has helped me, or kept us safe on our journey.
I remember a time when I was traveling with my children back home to Colorado from Utah, where we had just been visiting their dad. It was snowing and the roads were very icy, I hit a patch of ice and we spun out into the middle of the road. I was praying to know what to do because we were on a blind turn and the semi-trucks traveled that road – a lot! I was promoted to turn my wheels back towards the way we had been traveling from and step on the gas – quickly! I followed that thought and we spun back around to our side of the road and stopped on the side of the road just after the car stopped a semi-truck rounded the curve. Had I not acted on that thought immediately, we -- I might not be here to tell the story. We are all able to receive those promptings, we only need to find out how the Holy Ghost speaks to us – He has prompted me through my feelings, through my thoughts, and through dreams. My problem is often second guessing if that was my thought or are those feelings just silly…etc. I have gotten a little better I think at listening for and hearing the Holy Ghost when He speaks to me, but I think I still need to work on it. As a parent we are able to receive personal revelation for our families.

The Wisemen also received revelation after they had seen the babe in the manger. They were told not to go back to tell Herod that they had found the child but that they should go home another route. The Wisemen came from the east bearing gifts for the King of the Jews. They had been learning about Him and watching for Him to come for years I suspect. In Matthew 2 verse 2 it says “Where is he that is born King of the Jews? For we have seen his star in the east and have come to worship him” When King Herod heard this he was concerned – worried that this King of the Jews might take away his kingdom if the child was allowed to live. Herod called the wise men and “inquired of them diligently what time the star appeared. And he sent them to Bethlehem and said, Go and search diligently for the young child, and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship him. When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was. When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy.”
“And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Maty his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh. And being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way.” “And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and glee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him.  When he arose and took the young child and his mother by night and departed into Egypt.” And you know the rest of the story, right? There are a few prophecies being fulfilled in this chapter --- did you notice them? There are also some patterns for us to follow - - can you find them?
So how are you seeking Christ? What have you learned from the people in these verses that can help you to not only seek Christ, but to worship Him, to testify of Him as the Shepherds did, to wait patiently for His Coming as Simeon did, or as Anna served the Lord while she awaited His coming; and the Wisemen who had been studying about His coming long before it has ever happened. They were all searching for Him before He uttered the words {Come. Follow Me}.

Luke 2 :52 teach us : “And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man,” What can we learn from this verse?  That Jesus increased in wisdom – (intellectually) he studied hard, in wisdom and stature – (he grew physically.) In favor with God, (spiritually). And favor with others---(Socially), so think about it, how can you and I increase in these four areas?

Intellectually – I think if we kept up with studying of our scriptures every day, saying our prayers each day and keeping a prayer in our hearts all the day through, if we have family home evenings, family prayers and scripture reading, keep the commandments and all of our covenants we have made with the Lord, and if we learn out of the best books and seek learning even by study and by faith, this will help us increase in wisdom.

Physically – if we are eating healthy and exercising regularly, have regular check ups with our doctor, and have our yearly tests done (flu shots, Mammogram, pap-test, for women and if there are other tests for men, etc.) serve others and work hard, this will help us increase in stature.

Spiritually – just as we do to gain intellectually we need to be sure to study our scriptures and say our prayers daily, keep a prayer in our hearts continuously throughout each day, serve others, keep the commandments and all of our covenants that we have made with our Heavenly Father, have faith, repent daily, trust in the Lord, Learn about Jesus Christ and follow His teachings, listen to our living prophet and follow his counsel, and again seek learning even by study and by faith,  and be worthy of and hold a temple recommend. If we do all these things it will help us increase spiritually.

My dear family and friends, I think that I have rambled enough for this post and as always I hope and pray that I have said something that may be of help to one of you out there and remember you can chat with missionaries on line, you can receive a free Bible or Book of Mormon if you want or need one here: https://www.mormon.org/free-book-of-mormon  you can find one of our local meeting houses here: 
Until my next post, don't forget -- for the week of January 21-27 to read John chapter one everyone, please make it a wonderful week😊

No comments:

Post a Comment