Friday, June 14, 2019


Post # 111 – Come, Follow Me --  Week # 17 – John 7-10 -- “I Am the Good Shepherd”

Dear Family and Friends

 This post brings us back to our Come, Follow Me – this lesson is about us remembering that our homes must be the center of our gospel learning. With this thought in mind what passages from John 7-9 did you share with your family during this week? What passages were most helpful to you and/or your family members?

Jesus Christ is the Savior of the World
Throughout these chapters in John (7-10), Jesus made several declarations that can help each one of us to better understand His mission and draw closer to Him. Both of these things will help us as we navigate through each day, as there will be days to come that we will need His presence ever close to each one of us to continue on our righteous path homeward.


What do the following passages teach us about the Savior’s divine mission?
** John 7:37-39
37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)
** JOHN 8:12; 9:4-5
12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
4 I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
5 As long as I m in the world, I am the light of the world.

** John 8:58 – Jesus said unto them. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.



** John 9:0-10, 35-38
8 The neighbours therefore, and they which before had seen him that he was blind, said, Is not this he that sat and begged?
9 some said, This is he: others said, He is like him: but he said, I am he.
10 Therefore said they unto him, How were thine eyes opened?
35 Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he found him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the son of God?
36 He answered and said, Who is he, Lord, that I might believe on him?
37 And Jesus said unto him, Thou hast both seen hi, and it is he that talketh with thee.
38 And he said, Lord, I believe. And he worshipped him.
**John 10:7-9
7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.
8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.
9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he hall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
** John10:11-14
11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
12 But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them and scattereth the sheep.
13The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.
14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep. And I am known of mine.



As we live the teachings of Jesus Christ, we will come to know they are true.
Let’s see, an example might be if you were trying to learn how to play the piano. You really wanted to learn, but all you did was watch your friend play the piano. How much more would you learn about playing the piano if you were the one to be practicing every day instead of just watching someone else play the piano every day? 

You can compare this process of learning a skill through personally putting forth the effort on your own (your own personal experience), as opposed to only watching or listening to someone else do it.
How did practicing on your own teach you more that simply watching someone else do that skill which you wanted to do?

Let’s look through John 7:14-17 to see how the effort involved in learning a skill compares to the spiritual pattern the Savior described in these verses?

14 Now about the midst of the feast Jesus went up into the temple, and taught.
15 And the Jews marveled, saying, How knoweth this man letters, having never learned?
16 Jesus answered them and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be if God, or whether I speak of myself.




What experiences have each of you had in following this pattern to gain spiritual knowledge? what is a good way to illustrate the truths that are taught in these verses?

How have you gained a testimony of a gospel truth by living that gospel truth or principle?

>>>Sister Bonnie L. Oscarson shared an account that teaches us about that Living a principle helps us gain a testimony of it. She said: “The savior taught, ‘If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself’ [John 7:170. Sometimes we try to do it backward. For example, we may take this approach: I will be happy to live the law of tithing, but first I need to know that it’s true. Maybe we even pray to gain a testimony of the law of tithing and hope the Lord will bless us with that testimony before we have ever filled out a tithing slip. It just doesn’t work that way. The Lord expects us to exercise faith. We have to consistently pay a full and honest tithe in order top gain a testimony of tithing. …



“I would like to share an example of how living a principle helps us become converted to that principle. … My parents and teachers at church had impressed upon me the value of treating my body with respect, keeping a clear mind, and most of all, learning to trust in the Lord’s commandments. I made a decision to avoid situations where I knew alcohol would be present and to stay clear of tobacco and drugs. It often meant I was not included at parties, and I rarely dated. Drug use was becoming more and more common among young people, and the dangers were not as well known as they are today. Many of my peers later suffered permanent damage from mind-altering drugs or got Caught up on serious addictions. I was grateful to have been taught to live the word of wisdom in my home, and I gained a deep testimony of that principle of the gospel as I exercised faith and lived it. The good feeling that came to me from living a true gospel principle was the Spirit of the Holy Ghost confirming that the principle was true” (“Be Ye Converted,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2013, 77).



When you live the gospel, you are then worthy to receive the companionship of the Holy Ghost, who as you know is the real teacher of truth. As we seek His guidance, the Holy Ghost will give you the thoughts and impressions that you will need to help you to meet the needs of your family.
My challenge to you: I would ask each one of you to think about gospel principle that you would like to gain a stronger testimony of, and then I want you to set specific goals to live that principle more fully.

As we come to know Jesus Christ, we come to know the Father.

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland observed: “Some in contemporary world suffer from a distressing misconception of [God the Father]. … Many moderns say they might feel comfortable in the arms of Jesus, but they are uneasy contemplating the stern encounter of god” (“The Grandeur of God, Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2003, 71). You can read his whole talk here: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/2003/11/the-grandeur-of-god?lang=eng



In John 8:18-19,26-29 -What do the savior’s words teach us about the connection between Him and His Father?

18 I am one that beareth witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me.
19Then said they unto him, where is thy Father? Jesus answered, Ye neither know me, nor my Father: if ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also.
26 I have many things to say and to judge of you: but he that sent me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of him.
27 They understood not that he spoke of the Father.
28 Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.
29 And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always these things that please him.



Let’s make a list of some of the things Jesus did, said, or taught in these verses. What do we learn about God the Father from these things?

The Savior’s mercy is extended to all who repent.
I believe this story of the woman taken in adultery is a source of encouragement and comfort to those of us who may feel condemned because of our sins, as in this story the Savior offers mercy and an opportunity for repentance to this woman. then if you may be one who is or has ever been tempted to condemn someone because of their sins, then this very same story would be a good warning to you.

What does the story in John 8:1-11 teach us about the Savior’s mercy?




1 Jesus went unto the mount of Olives.
2 And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them.
3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,
4They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
8 And again, stooped down, and wrote on the ground.
9 and they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman,  where are thine accusers? Hath no man condemned thee?
11She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.




Let’s look in Alma 29:9-10 –
9 I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is u  joy.
10and behold, when I see many of my brethren truly penitent, and coming to the Lord their God, then is my soul filled with joy; then do I remember what the Lord has done for me, yea, even that he hath heard my prayer; yea, then do I remember his merciful arm which he extended towards me.

How might receiving His mercy when we sin help us when we feel tempted to judge others? You can also watch the video “Go and Sin No More” (lds.org). I found the video here: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/bible-videos/videos/go-and-sin-no-more?lang=eng




Let’s read John 8:1-11 – three times. Or you could read it with your family members, roommates, or with two friends.

The first reading we are looking for – or our focus will be as we read, to focus on the words and actions of the Pharisees. Now make a list of the spiritual truths you learned from this reading.

The second reading we will focus on the words and the actions of the Savior. Now make a list of the spiritual truths you learned from this reading.

The third reading we will focus on the words and the actions of the woman. Now make a list of the spiritual truths you learned from this reading.



I know sometimes I, myself am not fully aware that I am judging others until I think about it much later. We did an activity in class that I would like to share with all of you, this activity is to help each one of us to overcome our tendency to judge others: in class we were asked to help make a list of different ways we tend to judge other people. 

Examples might be: their appearance; their clothing; their behavior; their background; for past sins, etc. We then were then given a piece of paper in the shape of a stone and we were asked to select a way of judging others that we feel are guilty of and write it on the paper stone.

 What do we learn from the savior’s words to the Pharisees in these verses?
After we answered this question, we were asked to write something on the back of our paper stone that would remind us not to judge – something from John 8 --if you can find a phrase that will work for you😊




Think of a time when you have lost something that was valuable to you. In the scriptures for our next lesson we will learn how Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ feel about those (people – our brothers and our sisters) that are lost.

Well my dear Family and Friends we have again found ourselves at the end of today’s lesson. As always I hope and pray that I have shared something with each of you that has uplifted you in some small way😊 I love to share the stories in the scriptures, they can teach us so much if we study them with a prayer before, during, and after our study😊




The story of the woman found or caught in the act of adultery teaches or reminds us that the Savior is merciful and forgiving – no matter what our sin, as long as we truly repent, He is there for each one of us.  Jesus told the woman that He didn’t hold her sins against her. He told her to go and sin no more. He forgave her and gave her another chance at life. A chance to learn of Him and to follow Him. To make her life better😊

Until my next post, may each one of you remember who you truly are – a child of God. A God who loves each one of you so much that He gave His Only Begotten Son, even Jesus Christ – who willingly gave up His life and Atoned for the sins of each person who has ever or who will ever live upon this earth. So, may each one of you keep studying your scriptures with me, keep saying your prayers, stay close to your Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. And please make it a good week😊




No comments:

Post a Comment