Friday, July 5, 2019


Post # 114 – come Follow Me --- Week # 18 -- “Rejoice with Me; for I Have Found My Sheep Which Was Lost”
Luke 12 -17; John 11

Dear Family and Friends

 Well, I am getting back to our study of the New Testament. Please forgive me of my delay. Here it is June and I am still finishing up the lessons from May. Our Stake conference threw me off a bit I guess or maybe I am just off a bit😊 anyway – if you are ahead of me in these lessons, that is quite all right, just keep studying along😊 if you are studying along with me that is wonderful. I am happy to have you joining our ‘cyber’ study group😊

I sure hope you are each having a wonderful summer so far and that it is not getting too hot wherever you are😊 I am really enjoying my new sleeve – once I get it on – that is really a struggle for me but we do what we gotta do, right??   So, I want you to think about – and if you want you can tell me about something you learned from the scriptures this week and how you chose to live it?


No excuse is sufficient for rejecting the gospel.
Our study for this week begins in Luke chapter 14, beginning in verse 15 through verse 24 --- I want you to imagine that we have been invited to attend a very prestigious party and we really do not want to go so what kind of excuses might we come up with for not attending? I can think of the following: I don’t have anything to wear; I don’t have transportation; I have to work; I don’t have a babysitter; I don’t want to come by myself; it doesn’t fit my schedule …    read it with me, won’t you?

New Testament
15  And when one of them that sat at meat with him heard these things, he said unto him, Blessed is he that shall eat bread in the kingdom of God.
16 Then said he unto him, A certain man made a great supper, and bade many:
17 And sent his servant at supper time to say to them that were bidden, Come; for all things are now ready.
18 And they all with one consent began to make excuse. The first said unto him, I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it: I pray thee have me excused.




19 And another said, I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to prove them: I pray thee have me excused.
20 And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.
21 So that servant came, and shewed his lord these things. Then the master of the house being angry said to his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind.
22 And the servant said, Lord, it is done as thou hast commanded, and yet there is room.
23 And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.
24 For I say unto you, That none of those men which were bidden shall taste of my supper.

In class we had a discussion about all of the different excuses the people in the parable gave when they were invited to a feast that represented the blessings of the gospel. The first one said he had just bought some property and needed to tend it; the second one said he had just bought five yoke of oxen and needed to prove them; another said that he had just gotten married and could not come. Then we discussed what kind of excuses people make today for not choosing to accept the Savior’s invitations to receive Heavenly Father’s blessing— some may say that it is too hard; they don’t have the time; they don’t want to change their ways; they have a Bible and do not need any more teachings; and so forth… what are some of the excuses you came up with?


We can seek out those who are lost and rejoice with the Father when they return.
 This next section is directly from the Come, Follow Me for Individuals and families. This reality is so important I wanted to quote it directly.
“In most situations, 99 out of 100 would be considered excellentbut not when such numbers stand for beloved children of God (see D&C 18:10). In that case, even one soul merits a thorough, desperate search “until [we] find it” (Luke 15:4), as the Savior taught in the parable of the lost sheep. Then the rejoicing can begin, for “joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance” (Luke 15:7). If that seems unfair, it’s helpful to remember that, in truth, there are none who “need no repentance.” We all need rescuing. And we all can participate in the rescue, rejoicing together over every soul who is saved (see D&C 18:15–16).”



I am here with each of my Posts to try to uplift and inspire each one of you😊😊😊 This I try to do through my words, my experiences, through the words of our living Prophet and His Apostles -- through their words, experiences, through the stories of others, as well as and especially the words of the scriptures – the stories of those who have gone on before us who have much to teach us – if we will but learn them and share those teachings with the ones we love and all those around us😊

I have been blessed so very much through learning, accepting, and living the Gospel of Jesus Christ that I want to make sure that each one of you know that the opportunity for you to learn, accept, and live the Gospel of Jesus Christ and receive those blessings for yourself and your family as well!!! I promise you that you cannot go wrong in making these decisions for your own life. I do respect your individual choices for your own lives😊 I do remember what my life was like before I learned about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and made the changes in my life and there is no way that I would care to go back to that way of lifeI honestly believe that my family – especially my children have been blessed immensely for the decisions that I have made to come unto Christ.


I do feel an urgency to share what I have been blessed with,with each of you. It may be due to the fact that I do have stage four breast cancer and I may not be on this earth for too much longer. Or maybe it is because here recently I have had two good friends pass away and a couple of others who are struggling to hold onto their mortal lives if you are feeling lost in your lives, even a little bit – or you feel like you have a hole or a void in your lives that you have not been able to fill with any material goods, or a better job… it may be because Jesus Christ is needed in your lives – He is the only one who can fill that hole, that void in you.

If you have fallen away from your Heavenly Father and His Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ – for one reason or another – I am inviting you to take a chance and come back to Them😊 You cannot have gone too far that They cannot reach you!!! 😊 Jesus Christ suffered more than any human being could suffer – that suffering would have killed us. He went through all of His suffering so that He could provide for us what we could not provide for ourselves! He loves us, He knows each one of us individually😊

Through His infinite and eternal Atonement – even the Atonement of Jesus Christ, He is giving each of us the opportunity to repent of our sins and transgressions and Come, Unto Him😊



 If you have already accepted the Gospel of Jesus Christ –please look around you, think about those whom you know… a “lost sheep” if you will. Now with that person in your mind let’s take a look  at – and read together  Luke 15:1–7.

Then drew near unto him all the publicans and sinners for to hear him.
And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them.
¶ And he spake this parable unto them, saying,
What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?
And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing.
And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.
I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.


In what ways do you feel inspired to do to reach out to that person with sensitivity and love?




The following story by President Thomas S. Monson entitled: 
“You found me.”
·         President Thomas S. Monson shared the following experience he had while serving as a bishop: “I noted one Sunday morning that Richard, one of our priests who seldom attended, was again missing from priesthood meeting. I left the quorum in the care of the adviser and visited Richard’s home. His mother said he was working at a local garage servicing automobiles. I drove to the garage in search of Richard and looked everywhere but could not find him.

 Suddenly, I had the inspiration to gaze down into the old-fashioned grease pit situated at the side of the building. From the darkness I could see two shining eyes. I heard Richard say, ‘You found me, Bishop! I’ll come up.’ As Richard and I visited, I told him how much we missed him and needed him. I elicited a commitment from him to attend his meetings. … [Later], Richard said that the turning point in his life was when his bishop found him hiding in a grease pit and helped him to return to activity” (“Sugar Beets and the Worth of a Soul,” Ensign, July 2009, 6–7).
or Elder Mervyn B. Arnold’s address “To the Rescue: We Can Do It” (Ensign or Liahona, May 2016, 53–55) may help with this.
I found this talk here:  https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2016/04/to-the-rescue-we-can-do-it?lang=eng



It may be helpful for us to understand ways in which a person can become lost? Let’s take a closer look at the three parables  found in Luke 15 to study more in depth with the following questions:

  *** What do the parables suggest about how we should try to find those who are lost?

  *** What words in Luke 15 reveal how Heavenly Father feels about those who are lost?

·         Singing – or at least reading the words to the hymn: “Dear to the Heart of the Shepherd,” Hymns, no. 221, together with your family might be a meaningful addition to the teachings of these parables.




This next part is also from the Come, Follow Me for Individuals and Families:
Heavenly Father rejoices when those who are lost are found.
Have you ever wondered how Heavenly Father feels about those who have sinned or are otherwise “lost”? The Pharisees and scribes criticized Jesus for even associating with such people. In response, Jesus told three parables, found in Luke 15the parables of the lost sheep, the lost coin, and the prodigal son.

As you read these parables, consider making a list of similarities and differences between them. For example, you could look for what was lost and why, how it was found, and how people reacted when it was found.



Luke Chapter 15
Similarities
Differences
The Lost Sheep 1--7
one sinner that repenteth.
Rejoice with me
Lost sheep
The Lost Coin 8 -- 10
one sinner that repenteth.
Rejoice with me
Lost coin
The Prodigal Son 11 -- 32
Lost is found
make merry, and be glad
Lost / wayward Son
was dead, and is alive again
I started this chart for you, see what you can add to it as you study Luke Chapter 15😊

What messages did Jesus have for those who are “lost”including those who dont think they are lost? 

All those years ago, I did not believe that I was lost either. I thought I had a fairly good life. I had a husband and children who loved me and whom I loved with all my heart; we were a happy family. Then one day my oldest daughter wanted to go to church… and because I wanted to know what the Sister missionaries were teaching her, I was given the great opportunity to learn about the Gospel of Jesus Christ from those sweet Sisters as they were teaching my daughter. The Holy Ghost taught us both😊
What messages did He have for people who seek those who are lost?
Of course, it is always better not to become lost. Regarding Luke 15:7, Elder James E. Talmage wrote, “There is no justification for the inference that a repentant sinner is to be given precedence over a righteous soul who had resisted sin” (Jesus the Christ [1916], 461). However, all of us sin and need rescuing, and the comforting message of the Savior’s parables is that each of us can repent and return to righteousness, for God desires that not one soul should perish. 












I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

John 11:1–46

Jesus Christ is the Resurrection and the Life.
We may benefit from focusing on the words and actions of the older son in the parable of the prodigal son. What if we were to write an alternate ending to the parable in which the older son’s attitude toward his brother is different. What does the father’s counsel in the parable teach us about how we should feel about those who are lost and those who return to the gospel? Elder Jeffrey R. Holland gives us more insight about the older brother in his statement below.



·         Learning from the other prodigal.
·         Elder Jeffrey R. Holland made this observation about the prodigal son’s older brother:
·         “This son is not so much angry that the other has come home as he is angry that his parents are so happy about it. Feeling unappreciated and perhaps more than a little self-pity, this dutiful sonand he is wonderfully dutifulforgets for a moment that he has never had to know filth or despair, fear or self-loathing. He forgets for a moment that every calf on the ranch is already his and so are all the robes in the closet and every ring in the drawer. He forgets for a moment that his faithfulness has been and always will be rewarded.

·         “No, he who has virtually everything, and who has in his hardworking, wonderful way earned it, lacks the one thing that might make him the complete man of the Lord he nearly is. He has yet to come to the compassion and mercy, the charitable breadth of vision to see that this is not a rival returning. It is his brother. As his father pled with him to see, it is one who was dead and now is alive. It is one who was lost and now is found” (“The Other Prodigal,” Ensign, May 2002, 63).


·         Or, what if you were to imagine that you are the father in this parable. What additional counsel would you give the older son to help him rejoice in the progress or success of others?
Jesus Christ is the Resurrection and the Life.
As each of you have been reading about the raising of Lazarus this past week, did any of you find anything that strengthened your faith that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and the promised Messiah? If so, I would invite you to share what you found. What other experiences have built your faith in Jesus Christ? I learned in class that at the time of this miracle, Lazarus was not resurrected but brought back to mortal life.

·         One way for us to study and look more closely at  John 11:1–46 is to take turns with our family members, roommates or friends, in reading aloud together the verses and ask them to stop when they find evidence of faith in Jesus Christ. Then ask your family members to discuss with you what they have found. How can trials and infirmities strengthen our faith in Him?
·         
Another way for each one of us to read and study closely this account, is for us to look at the situation from the point of view of those people who were involvedsuch as the Savior, the Apostles, Martha, Mary, and Lazarus. What can we learn from each of them?

The Savior
The Apostles
Martha
Mary
Lazarus
Wept over the death of His friend. Wanted to bring glory to His Father.
They wanted to die with Lazarus.

Had faith that if Jesus had been there Lazarus would not have died. She had faith that even though Lazarus was dead, that if Jesus asked the Father he might live
Had faith that if Jesus had been there Lazarus would not have died.
Sick / died / lain in the grave four days.
Came out of the grave when Jesus Called to him.
I started this chart for you, see what you can add to it as you study John Chapter 11😊


·         What can we learn about the Savior from John 11:33–35?
·         John 11:33–35
·         New Testament
·         33 When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled,
·         34 And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see.
·         35 Jesus wept.
·          
·         Why is it important to know these things about Him?




I want to encourage each of you to read Matthew 19–20Mark 10; and Luke 18, during the coming week and ask yourself the following question: “How would you feel if you worked all day and got paid the same as someone who worked only one hour?” There is a parable in this next week’s reading that suggests how this could be considered fair. The following comes directly from the Come, Follow Me for Individuals and Families:


Ideas for Family Scripture Study and Family Home Evening

As you read the scriptures with your family, the Spirit can help you know what principles to emphasize and discuss in order to meet the needs of your family. Here are some suggestions:
Do your family members understand what it feels like to lose somethingor to be lost? Talking about their experiences could start a discussion about the parables of the lost sheep and lost coin. Or you could play a game in which someone hides and other family members try to find him or her. How does this activity help us understand these parables?

How can we be like the father in this story when we have loved ones who are lost? What can we learn from the older son’s experience that can help us be more Christlike? In what ways is the father in this parable like our Heavenly Father?
To help family members apply the account of the ten lepers, you could invite them to write secret notes of gratitude and put them throughout the house. You could also sing together “Count Your Blessings,” Hymns, no. 241, and discuss the blessings your family has received.

I really love this hymn, it is a gently reminder of how the Lord is in the very details of our lives and He is constantly blessing us, so I wanted to be sure you at least read through the words:



Count Your Blessings      Hymns of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints               241 Brightly
1.When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings; name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.
Count your blessings;
Name them one by one.
Count your blessings;
See what God hath done.
Count your blessings;
Name them one by one.
Count your many blessings;
See what God hath done.
2.Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings; ev’ry doubt will fly,
And you will be singing as the days go by.




Count your blessings;
Name them one by one.
Count your blessings;
See what God hath done.
Count your blessings;
Name them one by one.
Count your many blessings;
See what God hath done.
3.When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you his wealth untold.
Count your many blessings; money cannot buy
Your reward in heaven nor your home on high.



Count your blessings;
Name them one by one.
Count your blessings;
See what God hath done.
Count your blessings;
Name them one by one.
Count your many blessings;
See what God hath done.
4.So amid the conflict, whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged; God is over all.
Count your many blessings; angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.

Count your blessings;
Name them one by one.
Count your blessings;
See what God hath done.
Count your blessings;
Name them one by one.
Count your many blessings;
See what God hath done.
Text: Johnson Oatman Jr., 1856–1922
Music: Edwin O. Excell, 1851–1921


Family members could watch the video “Lazarus Is Raised from the Dead” (LDS.org) and share their testimonies of Jesus Christ. I found this video here:  https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/media-library/video/2014-01-026-lazarus-is-raised-from-the-dead?lang=eng

Well, dear Family and Friends here we are together again at the end of our lesson. I hope you have learned as much as I have from these parables😊 the Lost Sheep, the Lost Coin, and the Prodigal Son. Within these parables Jesus is teaching each one of us that we are worth finding when we stray away from Him and become lost in the ways of the world. 

We – each one of us – are worth the effort, whatever that effort may be—great or small, we are worth finding!!! Each one of us mean so much to Him, and He wants every one of us to be found and to return to Him.

If we are not the one lost, then it is our responsibility to go out and do whatever is necessary to find those who are lost and invite them to come back to live the way the Savior would have us live to be a part of His chosen children. 

I am here to invite all of you who are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to consider coming back into the fold. Do whatever you need to do to come back to full membership in the Church. You are loved, you are missed, you are needed, you are wanted😊 Please come back!!!
I hope and pray that I have not upset or offended anyone with what I have shared with you today, if I have, please forgive me. I hope and pray that I have shared something that may spark in you a desire to Come unto Him.

 As always, please remember who you are. Keep praying, studying the New Testament with us, sharing what you are learning with your families, friends, roommates, and with all those you spend your time😊 until my next post, please remember to make it a great week!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment