Tuesday, November 5, 2019


Post # 144 -- General Conference October 2019

Dear Family and Friends

I do hope you were each able to listen to or watch our general conference. I had some family obligations, so I was not able to watch it when it was on, but I was able to watch it later in the evening from the DVR 😊 Something that I am truly grateful for. I use my DVR all the time, probably more than I ought to, I guess.  I wanted to share with you some quotes and thoughts from our general conference. I probably should have included this last year when I shared the first general conference with each one of you. The thought never crossed my mind that some of you might not know what general conference is == so I have added this short little definition of what general conferences are:



 With that said I would like to share a few quotes with you that I truly enjoyed


“As you exercise faith in the Lord and His priesthood power, your ability to draw upon this spiritual treasure that the Lord has made available will increase.” – President Russell M. Nelson

“Trusting in the Lord includes trusting in His timing and requires patience and endurance that outlast the storms of life.” By Elder L. Todd Budge - Of the Seventy

As Jesus Christ’s faithful disciple, you can receive personal inspiration and revelation, consistent with His commandments, that is tailored to you. By Michelle Craig - First Counselor in the Young Women General Presidency

One of the most important things we can learn in this life is how to emphasize our eternal spiritual nature and control our evil desires. By President M. Russell Ballard - Acting President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles

As we come unto Him, God will come to our rescue, whether to heal us or to give us the strength to face any situation. By Elder Walter F. GonzΓ‘lez - Of the Seventy

Keep your eyes and your hearts centered on the Savior Jesus Christ and the eternal joy that comes only through Him. By Elder Neil L. Andersen - Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles

“Nothing opens the heavens quite like the combination of increased purity, exact obedience, earnest seeking, daily feasting on the words of Christ in the Book of Mormon, and regular time committed to temple and family history work.” By President Russell M. Nelson




 You know there are so many amazing talks given during General Conference every six months – so much to learn😊 I am so grateful to all who spoke at conference, they each shared with me from spirit to spirit. I often feel as if the speaker were speaking only to me. Though I know that others may feel the same way directly from the same speaker as well. This only continually confirms to me that our Heavenly Father knows each one of us individually and completely. He knows just what we need to hear and when we need to hear it😊

I am not sure if I ever mentioned this before, but I have struggled all my life with great self-esteem issues and have even been to the point on several occasions during my life that I felt like my life was not good enough to continue. Drawing attention to myself was never something that I ever wanted to do. For most of my life I have wanted to remain in the shadows – hoping that I would not be noticed at all. I was never good enough, never good enough for anything😊 or anyone:(

When the rare times have come that someone sends mt a compliment I am not sure how to take it. I have often wondered why they would feel the need to say something that was not true. Or I wondered if they wanted me for something, so they felt the need to pump me up for it. I grew up having ‘friends’ who were only my friends if I could do something for them




All these years later it is still very hard for me to accept a compliment as face value, That the person really and truly means what they are saying to me. I don’t feel that I am anything special. It has also been extremely hard for me to make friends because I never learned how I guess. I am sure that there are some of you out there who have in the past felt this way. There are most likely many of you who still feel this way, I know that I still struggle with my worth

When I was growing up you did not talk about your feelings. You kept them to yourself. I look back on my life and I can see the Lord’s hand in my life, so strongly😊 He was always there for me – even before I knew for sure of His true existence😊 He kept me from taking my life on those occasions when I came so close to my own extinction. I am so grateful to Him for this great gift of my life. For the opportunity that He has given me to share the gospel of Jesus Christ with each of you😊

 I am so grateful for His forgiveness and His unwavering love😊 I am extremely grateful for His Only Begotten Son, my Savior, Jesus Christ and for His Atonement and all the blessings that come from embracing it in my life. I am just learning a bit about how this works and I have been a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for all of these 31 years. I am sure that I have mentioned that I am a very slow learner😊




I guess what is most important is that I am still learning, right? When I think about my life growing up in a family with eight children, with a mom who had no education – only that of about a sixth grader at best, and living in deep poverty, I am surprised that I am here to tell anything about it. One of my best friends took his life and it was a struggle for me to make any sense of his passing. After he was gone the only true friend, I had was my older brother😊

It is so hard to get through a day of life when you feel that you have no purpose, or your mind is so full of darkness that you cannot sort through that darkness to even get dressed and face another living soul. That darkness might be compared to a great heavy fog that you are trying to drive through and your windshield wipers are necessary to cut through it layer by layer so that you can inch along through to a safe place to stop until the fog lifts enough for you to continue on your journey safely😊

Have you ever heard the phrase that ‘the fog was as thick as pea soup?’ Well, I think a lot of my growing up years were a bit – no, a lot like that it was a very lonely and sad life looking back on it now. I do not know just how I was able to make it through to this point. Yes, I know that it was because my Heavenly Father was there for me. He has been there throughout my whole life, but I did not recognize His presence during the struggles of my life please do not repeat my life. Find Him early. Find Him now!




The traumas that happened during my life have made me who I am today! 😊Though I still struggle every day to maintain that I have value as a daughter of my Heavenly Father. With this knowledge I have been able to see myself a bit better through His eyes. I am a child of God! I am loved no matter what I do or say! I have felt His loving arms around me as I cried myself to sleep I know for a surety that He loves me!!! I am good enough!!!

 I do not need to hide my feelings. I can share them with Him in prayer! I believe there is great power in prayer😊 I have seen that power in my life!!!
As a child going through various types of abuse, I believe that the emotional abuse is the hardest to recover from, I guess because you cannot physically see they healing as it is happening, and it is a lot harder to recognize. If you are struggling in any of these ways, please don’t keep it all bottled up inside of yourself. If you cannot share your feelings with a physical person – please share those feelings in your prayers with your Heavenly Father😊

It is so very hard to find any good in yourself when these things have happened to you. Especially when it begins at such a young age and is so traumatic.  Often felt that I was only good for one thing—and that thing was not a good thing I do not feel comfortable going into details and reliving the trauma of the telling of it. Just know that from that one incident in my childhood, my perspectives of life changed drastically, and it has taken all these years to come to a semblance of recovering. I still struggle with my self -worth




I think that often times you develop coping mechanisms so that you are able to get through the traumas of your life. I was able to hide most things behind a smile and laughing at myself and of course the self-abuse was always hidden. There for many years I got up with a bottle and went to bed with a bottle. Never really drunk, but never really sober either. My smoking was up to four packs a day when I promised the Lord that I would give it up to become a member of His church. This was the best decision of my life!!! 😊 😊 😊

Yes, I struggled with giving it up, but with the Lord’s help I was able to give up my bad habits and begin a new life. I have never looked back. And even though I have been a slow learner all my life, I think I am doing alright! Even though I still struggle with some things. I remember now, that I do have a Heavenly Father who loves me always! I remember that I have a Savior, Jesus Christ who gave His life to pay the price of my sins and transgressions. If you struggle with things in your life as well, let the Lord help you as He has helped me through my darkness and into His light😊 😊 😊

I know that depression is a real thing! I know that abuse in its many ugly forms is a real thing! I know that addictions of many kinds are a real thing! I know that our minds can be full of confusion and misdirection and that is a real thing! I have experienced at least one form of all of these things, so I know from my own experience that they all are very real things!!! I know it is sad but only too true




I am no expert in any way, shape or form, but I know for a fact that the Lord has been there for me and helped me – even when I did not recognize Him helping me now that I have learned to ask Him for His help I have Managed my life so much better. I know that even as old as I am, I still have so much more to learn. Though I love to learn many things, I honestly believe that learning about my Heavenly Father and my Savior, Jesus Christ are some of the most important to learn about😊

I know that the trauma and other experiences that we have in our lives happen for a reason. Even if we never know what that reason or reasons may be. I know that the Lord allowed me to remember the things I had gone through in my life, after they had all been pretty much erased when I had a series of small strokes. Years later I was able to help many of our foster children through the trauma they were facing in their lives by sharing what I had gone through or having gone through the same thing or something similar I was able to help them😊 because I had been there too!

I am not sure if any of this is making sense to you, but I felt the need to share it with you all. I haven’t thought about these things for years. I was reading through a talk from our general conference and these things all came flooding back to my mind. I hope I have shared something that is of a little comfort to you in some small way. Just know that you are loved very deeply and your Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ are both there for each one of you. They are only a prayer away😊




I know that when I was growing up, we did not speak of these things even within the walls of our own home. When we had problems, we kept them to ourselves and we most certainly did not go to the doctor for things. My mom was not going to have a spectacle made of her family. I guess she had really bad experiences growing up in her own family and she did not want those things repeated with her children😊

If you are suffering from any of these troubles in your life, now is the time to get the help that you need! You are worth it!!! You should do what ever your doctor or therapist has recommended for your individual needs and treatment but remember that the Lord can help you with any problem that you have! He has helped me so much throughout my life as well as continually helping me through my journey with cancer😊

Remember that when Jesus Christ suffered for our sins, He also suffered all of our pains and afflictions, our sicknesses, diseases, illnesses, or traumas and so much more. He suffered so much so that He, being a god bled from every pore. He suffered so much more than any mere mortal would be able to withstand. And He did it all willingly because He loves each one of us so much!!! One key to accessing the help that we need is to have faith and trust in the Lord😊 Prayer is another key!!!





Oh, I have been rambling again, haven’t I? let me share with you the talk that I was reading. The one that got all these thoughts rushing back to my mind. I hope you enjoy this talk and I hope and pray that it is helpful to you.

Thru Cloud and Sunshine, Lord, Abide with Me!

By Reyna I. Aburto
Second Counselor in the Relief Society General Presidency
I testify that “thru cloud and sunshine” the Lord will abide with us, that our “afflictions [can be] swallowed up in the joy of Christ.”
One of our beloved hymns expresses the plea “Thru cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me!”1 I was once on a plane as it approached a large storm. Looking out the window, I could see a dense blanket of clouds below us. The rays of the setting sun reflected off the clouds, causing them to shine with intense brightness. Soon, the plane descended through the heavy clouds, and we were suddenly enveloped in a thick darkness that completely blinded us to the intense light we had witnessed just moments earlier.2

Rays of the setting sun


Black clouds may also form in our lives, which can blind us to God’s light and even cause us to question if that light exists for us anymore. Some of those clouds are of depression, anxiety, and other forms of mental and emotional affliction. They can distort the way we perceive ourselves, others, and even God. They affect women and men of all ages in all corners of the world.


Dark clouds


Likewise damaging is the desensitizing cloud of skepticism that can affect others who have not experienced these challenges. Like any part of the body, the brain is subject to illnesses, trauma, and chemical imbalances. When our minds are suffering, it is appropriate to seek help from God, from those around us, and from medical and mental health professionals.
“All human beingsmale and femaleare created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and … each has a divine nature and destiny.”3 Like our Heavenly Parents and our Savior, we have a physical body4 and experience emotions.5

My dear sisters, it is normal to feel sad or worried once in a while. Sadness and anxiety are natural human emotions.6 However, if we are constantly sad and if our pain blocks our ability to feel the love of our Heavenly Father and His Son and the influence of the Holy Ghost, then we may be suffering from depression, anxiety, or another emotional condition.
My daughter once wrote: “There was a time … [when] I was extremely sad all of the time. I always thought that sadness was something to be ashamed of, and that it was a sign of weakness. So I kept my sadness to myself. … I felt completely worthless.”7

A friend described it this way: “Since my early childhood, I have faced a constant battle with feelings of hopelessness, darkness, loneliness, and fear and the sense that I am broken or defective. I did everything to hide my pain and to never give the impression that I was anything but thriving and strong.”8

My dear friends, it can happen to any of usespecially when, as believers in the plan of happiness, we place unnecessary burdens on ourselves by thinking we need to be perfect now. Such thoughts can be overwhelming. Achieving perfection is a process that will take place throughout our mortal life and beyondand only through the grace of Jesus Christ.9
In contrast, when we open up about our emotional challenges, admitting we are not perfect, we give others permission to share their struggles. Together we realize there is hope and we do not have to suffer alone.10





As disciples of Jesus Christ, we have made a covenant with God that we “are willing to bear one another’s burdens” and “to mourn with those that mourn.”11 This may include becoming informed about emotional illnesses, finding resources that can help address these struggles, and ultimately bringing ourselves and others to Christ, who is the Master Healer.12 Even if we do not know how to relate to what others are going through, validating that their pain is real can be an important first step in finding understanding and healing.13

In some cases, the cause of depression or anxiety can be identified, while other times it may be harder to discern.14 Our brains may suffer because of stress15 or staggering fatigue,16 which can sometimes be improved through adjustments in diet, sleep, and exercise. Other times, therapy or medication under the direction of trained professionals may also be needed.

Untreated mental or emotional illness can lead to increased isolation, misunderstandings, broken relationships, self-harm, and even suicide. I know this firsthand, as my own father died by suicide many years ago. His death was shocking and heartbreaking for my family and me. It has taken me years to work through my grief, and it was only recently that I learned talking about suicide in appropriate ways actually helps to prevent it rather than encourage it.17 I have now openly discussed my father’s death with my children and witnessed the healing that the Savior can give on both sides of the veil.18






Sadly, many who suffer from severe depression distance themselves from their fellow Saints because they feel they do not fit some imaginary mold. We can help them know and feel that they do indeed belong with us. It is important to recognize that depression is not the result of weakness, nor is it usually the result of sin.19 It “thrives in secrecy but shrinks in empathy.”20 Together, we can break through the clouds of isolation and stigma so the burden of shame is lifted and miracles of healing can occur.

During His mortal ministry, Jesus Christ healed the sick and the afflicted, but each person had to exercise faith in Him and act to receive His healing. Some walked for long distances, others extended their hand to touch His garment, and others had to be carried to Him in order to be healed.21 When it comes to healing, don’t we all need Him desperately? “Are we not all beggars?”22

Let us follow the Savior’s path and increase our compassion, diminish our tendency to judge, and stop being the inspectors of the spirituality of others. Listening with love is one of the greatest gifts we can offer, and we may be able to help carry or lift the heavy clouds that suffocate our loved ones and friends23 so that, through our love, they can once again feel the Holy Ghost and perceive the light that emanates from Jesus Christ.

If you are constantly surrounded by a “mist of darkness,”24 turn to Heavenly Father. Nothing that you have experienced can change the eternal truth that you are His child and that He loves you.25 Remember that Christ is your Savior and Redeemer, and God is your Father. They understand. Picture Them close by you, listening and offering support.26 “[They] will console you in your afflictions.”27 Do all you can, and trust in the Lord’s atoning grace.





Your struggles do not define you, but they can refine you.28 Because of a “thorn in the flesh,”29 you may have the ability to feel more compassion toward others. As guided by the Holy Ghost, share your story in order to “succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees.”30

For those of us currently struggling or supporting someone who is struggling, let us be willing to follow God’s commandments so we may always have His Spirit with us.31 Let us do the “small and simple things”32 that will give us spiritual strength. As President Russell M. Nelson said, “Nothing opens the heavens quite like the combination of increased purity, exact obedience, earnest seeking, daily feasting on the words of Christ in the Book of Mormon, and regular time committed to temple and family history work.”33

Let us all remember that our Savior, Jesus Christ, “[has taken] upon him [our] infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know … how to succor [us] according to [our] infirmities.”34 He came “to bind up the brokenhearted, … to comfort all that mourn; … to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness.”35

I testify to you that “thru cloud and sunshine” the Lord will abide with us, our “afflictions [can be] swallowed up in the joy of Christ,”36 and “it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.”37 I testify that Jesus Christ will return to the earth “with healing in his wings.”38 Ultimately, He “shall wipe away all tears from [our] eyes; and there shall be no more … sorrow.”39 For all who will “come unto Christ, and be perfected in him,”40 the “sun shall no more go down; … for the Lord shall be [our] everlasting light, and the days of [our] mourning shall be ended.”41 In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.






Well folks, here we are at the end of this talk and the end of this post. I hope and I pray that each one of you have been uplifted and comforted in some way. That you have learned something from what I have shared with you that may be of help for yourself or someone you care about😊 remember, no matter who you are you may experience some of the things that have been mentioned in this talk or in my ramblings. If this happened to you or someone that you know be sure to call on your Heavenly Father for His help😊
If you were unable to watch or listen to the conference you can read or listen to the talks here:

As always, I want you to remember who you are!! Remember that you are worth it!!! Remember that you deserve the best in this life😊 remember to learn of your Heavenly Father and of His Son, Jesus Christ, learn of His Atonement and how is can work in your life😊 you may be surprised at how much help your Savior and your Heavenly Father has included in His plan of happiness!!! Remember They are only a prayer away😊

Remember to say your prayers every day and have a prayer in your heart always😊 Remember to study your scriptures every day – especially the Book of Mormon, you will find great power within its covers!  And as I have said before, if you have not had the opportunity to read the Book of Mormon, now is a good time to accept my challenge and give it a read😊 I promise that you wont be sorry that you did😊 😊 Until my next post, please make it a good week!

You can request a free copy of the Book of Mormon here:

No comments:

Post a Comment