Saturday, July 21, 2018


Post # 23 – Feeling a Disconnection

Dear Family & Friends

I am so glad to be getting back to church, my life is so different  -- almost disconnected -- without going to church each week. I didn't realize just how much I would miss church without going each week.I .miss my church family and friends as well as the lessons taught each week for my reflection during the following week

I have been missing going to church since my surgery. It’s funny how going to church and taking the sacrament each week – makes your week go so much better than when you are not able to go for one reason or another. 
I don’t know about each of you, but I do notice a difference in my entire week when I am able to go to church and take the sacrament. and renew my baptismal covenants each week. 

An illustration of a deacon passing a water tray to a young woman sitting on a wooden bench.

"Just imagine how blessed we are to know that God is a being with a body of flesh and bones as tangible as ours, that we can worship a God who is real, whom we can understand, and who has shown and revealed Himself and His Son to His prophets—both prophets of old and prophets in these latter days. He is a God who hears and answers our prayers; a God who watches us from heaven above and is constantly concerned about our spiritual and temporal well-being; a God who gives us agency to decide for ourselves to follow Him and obey His commandments without coercion; a God who gives us blessings and allows us to face trials so we can grow and become like Him."
—Elder Adilson de Paula Parrella, "Essential Truths—Our Need to Act"


I love it when I can prepare by reading an studying ahead ad then be able to participate in the Sunday lessons and visit with my church family – it just makes my week go so much better. I am more hopeful and even calmer throughout the week. Yes, I know that all weeks are better than others, but that is just a part of life. for me it is the most important thing that i do each week -- it is to go to church and partake of the sacrament.

"As we partake of the sacrament, we witness to God that we will remember His Son always, not just during the brief sacrament ordinance. This means that we will constantly look to the Savior’s example and teachings to guide our thoughts, our choices, and our acts."
—Cheryl A. Esplin, "The Sacrament—a Renewal for the Soul"

A front view of a brick chapel with a steeple in North Salt Lake, Utah, with grass and pine trees in the front.

 "As we invest time in learning about the Savior and His atoning sacrifice, we are drawn to participate in another key element to accessing His power: we choose to have faith in Him and follow Him. True disciples of Jesus Christ are willing to stand out, speak up, and be different from the people of the world. They are undaunted, devoted, and courageous."
—Russell M. Nelson, "Drawing the Power of Jesus Christ into Our Liveshttps://www.lds.org/general-conference/2017/04/drawing-the-power-of-jesus-christ-into-our-lives?lang=eng"

I have been studying on my own during my recovery time, trying to keep up with the lessons each week, but its just not the same as when you are in class and can hear other people’s remarks on the subject of the lesson and when you can add your little bit of input – hoping that what you say is of some help to someone in understanding the topic a little better. Or, at least, they might have a desire to learn more about it on their own!


"There is too much at stake for us as individuals, as families, and as Christ’s Church to give only a halfhearted effort to this sacred work. Being a disciple of Jesus Christ is not an effort of once a week or once a day. It is an effort of once and for all."
—Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "Are You Sleeping through the Restoration?"
 Have you ever tried to study the scriptures all alone without any feedback from anyone? it is very lonely and i missed our on so much when I have to study on my own. I'm not saying that I do not learning anything when I study on my own, because I d. I learn alone when I pray before, during and after my lesson is done.A student’s hand is seen holding a piece of paper with a quote typed on it, with his scriptures laid open on his desk next to a workbook.

We are studying the Old Testament this year and the lessons have been so interesting each week to broaden my knowledge of the lessons found in this part of the scriptures. I love the footnotes and the other scriptural helps that we have available to us to help us with our learning and our understanding of what we are learning.

"Even with all of the mistakes, opposition, and learning that accompany our mortal experience, God never loses sight of our eternal potential, even when we do. We can trust Him “because God wants His children back.” And He has provided a way through the Atonement of His Son, Jesus Christ. The Atonement “is the core of the plan of salvation.”"
—Carole M. Stephens, "If Ye Love Me, Keep My Commandments"

https://www.lds.org/liahona/2015/11/sunday-afternoon-session/if-ye-love-me-keep-my-commandments?lang=eng

it has been so good to be able to read through the lessons and then study the material during the week. With all the encouragement to study the lessons and to attend church, I guess I need to get a little more practice, so that I can get the habit and keep it for the rest of my life., studying so that I know the Lord's will for my life. study so that I can listen to the prophet’s instructions for our lives. It is important for us to attend all of our meeting whenever we can so that we can know for ourselves the will of The Lord for our specific area and for our families as well. It has been so good to be able to read through the lessons and then study the material during the week.. it really helps my week go so much better when I have been studying the scriptures consistently. Especially when I read and study the Book of Mormon along with whatever our topic of study is😊

A painting by Robert T. Barrett of Moses holding a staff and stretching out his arm while the Red Sea parts and a storm rages behind him.Moses taught the Israelite's how to create an environment that would help them resist Satan’s temptations. In Deuteronomy 6:1-9; 11: 18 – 21, Moses gives the Israelite's the teachings of the Lord. he told them to keep all His statutes and His commandments all the days of their lives, that it may be well with them. Moses did so many things, parting the red sea so that the illiterates could cross on dry ground. he gave us the commandments

"The Lord has promised us that as we “search diligently, pray always, and be believing, … all things [will] work together for [our] good” (D&C 90:24; emphasis added). That doesn’t mean that everything will be perfect or that we will not have any trials, but it does mean that everything will be okay if we just “hang in there.” Ours is the opportunity to “be … an example of the believers” (1 Tim. 4:12), and the Savior has promised that “all things are possible to him that believeth” (Mark 9:23). So believe in yourselves. Believe that you are never alone. Believe that you will always be guided."
—Elaine S. Dalton, "Believe!"

A painting by Jerry Thompson showing Moses with his sandals off, falling backward near a large burning bush.

"Put God first, regardless of the trials you face. Love God. Have faith in Christ, and entrust yourself to Him in all things."
—Elder Koichi Aoyagi, "Hold on Thy Way"


In verse 5 he said that we should love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. He tells them to teach their children his words, diligently – all day long, at home, and when you’re out and about with them, when you get up in the morning and when you go to bed at night – teach them about the Lord your God.
Rocks on a mountain, with the city of St. George in the background.

Then continuing in chapter 6:10-12; 8:1-20 Moses tells them to remember the blessings the Lord has blessed them with and to remember their covenants that they have made with the Lord and to keep His commandments. if you have made covenants with the Lord, are you remembering them? are you remembering Him?

"I testify that the Savior will never turn away from us when we humbly seek Him in order to repent; will never consider us to be a lost cause; will never say, “Oh no, not you again”; will never reject us because of a failure to understand how hard it is to avoid sin. He understands it all perfectly, including the sense of sorrow, shame, and frustration that is the inevitable consequence of sin."


A painting by Darrell Thomas of white-haired Moses placing his hands on the head of Joshua, who kneels before him.I’ve learned about Joshua, he was the prophet whom the Lord called to lead the people after Moses. this picture is of Joshua being ordainded his prophetic call by Moses.
Be strong and of a good courage: for unto this people shalt thou divide for an inheritance the land, which I sware unto their fathers to give them.

"Immersion in the scriptures is essential for spiritual nourishment. The word of God inspires commitment and acts as a healing balm for hurt feelings, anger, or disillusionment. When our commitment is diminished for any reason, part of the solution is repentance. Commitment and repentance are closely intertwined."
—Quentin L. Cook, "Can Ye Feel So Now?"

I study on my own, but I do not get nearly as much out of my lessons by myself as I do when I am at church with my church family. I am able to feel the spirit and to listen to their comments and to share mine. It is not as effective when I study alone, but it is important for me to continue my study of the gospel even when I am unable to go to church. There is always so much to learn in the Lord’s words. Our Heavenly Father has provided us the scriptures for our learning and our profit.

White, yellow, and orange rocks in Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada."My brothers and sisters, to express gratitude is gracious and honorable, to enact gratitude is generous and noble, but to live with gratitude ever in our hearts is to touch heaven. As I close this morning, it is my prayer that in addition to all else for which we are grateful, we may ever reflect our gratitude for our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. His glorious gospel provides answers to life’s greatest questions: Where did we come from? Why are we here? Where do our spirits go when we die? That gospel brings to those who live in darkness the light of divine truth."

—Thomas S. Monson, "The Divine Gift of Gratitude"


Then when church is over, and we are on our way home, my granddaughter and I share our lessons with each other. This has become a bit of a tradition with the two of us, she is the only one that regularly goes to church with me and I am so very grateful that she willingly does. I have been to church all alone on many occasions and I much prefer to have someone go with me – especially someone from my own family😊 She is really good to help me understand things that I just don't get and I try to help her as best as I can.

A run-down cabin in a field, with a mountain range covered with clouds in the background.

"In the kingdom of God, the search for truth is appreciated, encouraged, and in no way repressed or feared. Church members are strongly counseled by the Lord Himself to seek for knowledge. He said, “Seek ye diligently … ; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith."
—Elder Marcos A. Aidukaitis, "If Ye Lack Wisdom"

the Lord has counselled us to seek learning out of the best books, the Lord encourages each of us to seek learning, even by faith, and to seek that learning out of the best books. well, I don't know about you but the scriptures are some pretty good books, the teachings of the Prophets are some more pretty good books, the Sunday school manuals and study guides are good places to seek learning. Joseph Smith said if any of you lack wisdom, ask of the Lord. the Lord has commanded us that we search the scriptures diligently. so, my challenge to you is -- to search the scriptures diligently every day. write down what you are learning, then you can go back later and see your improvement as you study by theme, topic, person, place, gospel principle -- like faith, and so much more. just begin 0-15 minutes a day and I promise you that you will want to study more and more, especially if you are studying the Book of Mormon -- it lifts me up every day as I read and study from it's pages.

A wooden fence on a hill with yellow grass and trees and with mountains in the background.

"To all wanderers who are seeking to find their way out of the trackless wilderness and into the flowering, sunlit gardens, where the path is straight and the way leads to life eternal, I would plead that you look to the source of all light and knowledge, even God and his Son Jesus Christ; learn of them and keep their commandments which they have given; for I testify that they live, that their word is the truth, and there is no other way to happiness and eternal life than through them."
—N. Eldon Tanner, "Why Is My Boy Wandering Tonight?"


With all the encouragement to study the lessons and to attend church, I guess I need to get a little more practice, so that I can get the habit and keep it for the rest of my life., studying so that I know the Lord's will for my life. study so that I can listen to the prophet’s instructions for our lives. It is important for us to attend all of our meeting whenever we can so that we can know for ourselves the will of the Lord for our personal lives. You can build a personal relationship with your Heavenly Father and your Savior, even Jesus Christ, through faith, prayer, fasting, scripture study and church attendance.

Two young girls in striped shirts sit on the grass and read the Book of Mormon together.

So be sure to read for at least ten minutes each day ( that is a good place to start, then increase your time as you are able)  from your scriptures, but before you begin to study , don't forget to pray to your Heavenly Father that He will lend His Spirit to be with you as you study, and remember to read from the Book of Mormon every day as well. I know that it will bless your life as well as the lives of those you love. it really is worth any effort that you are willing to put into it. 

Good luck and enjoy your reading and your studying, and don't let yourselves get to feeling disconnected -- enjoy the feeling you get when you are with your church family and when you are sharing your Sunday school lessons and gospel doctrine lessons with them. listen to what they all say and be sure to share your feelings on the subject as I a sure that you will get so much more our of your experience. Also, don't forget to pray before you begin your study of the scriptures, as well as during your study, and then pray when you are finished. this will help you keep the Spirit and the subject in the front of your mind throughout the day. I am going to leave you with this quote -- so until my next post,keep studying your scriptures and be sure to go to church this Sunday:) 

"We need not walk by the shores of Galilee or among the Judean hills to walk where Jesus walked. All of us can walk the path He walked when, with His words ringing in our ears, His Spirit filling our hearts, and His teachings guiding our lives, we choose to follow Him as we journey through mortality. His example lights the way. Said He, “I am the way, the truth, and the life.”"
—Thomas S. Monson, "Ponder the Path of Thy Feet"
Intersecting dirt roads in Idaho, with fields and silos on the side of the road.


No comments:

Post a Comment