Saturday, January 11, 2020


Post #163 – Come Follow Me – Week # 3 -- January 13–19. 1 Nephi 8–10: -- “Come and Partake of the Fruit”

Fear Family and Friends

How are you doing this week?? This morning was so nice, but by afternoon the cold wintery winds were back. I don’t really mind the cold, but the winds I can do without! Yes,  I know that the wind is important – it brings in the storms that we need, it cleans the air, you know things like that and more😊 those are just the ones that come to my mind at present.

>>>>>>*******>>>>> ***** I wanted to remind you about the devotional coming up this week with Elder and Sister Christofferson. It is the Worldwide Devotional for Young Adults. It is at 6pm MST this Sunday, January 12, 2020😊
I think anyone can watch it, you can go here for more information: https://abn.churchofjesuschrist.org/?lang=eng ******<<<<<<<******<<<<<<<<
 Image result for free picture and quotes for Lehi's dream

I have told you about my sleeping my Saturday away, right? Well, I have come to the conclusion that maybe that is my day for my body to recharge itself, especially on my chemo weeks. It does seem though that just about the time I feel like I have a little more energy, its time for my chemo again! I guess that’s the time when I need to get things done then😊

In today’s post our lesson covers 1 Nephi 8–10  it is titled: “Come and Partake of the Fruit.” I am here to invite each and every one of you to come and be partakers of the fruit😊

The following comes from the Come, Follow Me for Individuals and families manual:
As you read 1 Nephi 8–10, consider what messages from Lehi’s vision apply to you. Record the spiritual impressions you receive in your scriptures, a notebook, or this resource.
A some of you may know, Lehi’s vision has many applications for our day, for us as individuals and for our families too!! . What were your / their insights as you and your family members and friends read about this vision.
You should be sure to share some very specific verses and the meaning you and your family members and friends have found in those verses for your / their lives. The following comes from the Come, Follow Me for Individuals and families manual:
 Image result for free picture and quotes for Lehi's dream

Lehi’s dream—with its iron rod, mists of darkness, spacious building, and tree with “most sweet” fruit—is an inspiring invitation to receive the blessings of the Savior’s love and atoning sacrifice.


 For Lehi, however, this vision was also about his family: “Because of the thing which I have seen, I have reason to rejoice in the Lord because of Nephi and also of Sam. … But behold, Laman and Lemuel, I fear exceedingly because of you” (1 Nephi 8:3–4).
 
1 Nephi 8:3–4    Book of Mormon
3 And behold, because of the thing which I have seen, I have reason to rejoice in the Lord because of Nephi and also of Sam; for I have reason to suppose that they, and also many of their seed, will be saved.
4 But behold, Laman and Lemuel, I fear exceedingly because of you; for behold, methought I saw in my dream, a dark and dreary wilderness.
When Lehi finished describing his vision, he pleaded with Laman and Lemuel to “hearken to his words, that perhaps the Lord would be merciful to them” (1 Nephi 8:37). 
1 Nephi 8:37       Book of Mormon
37 And he did exhort them then with all the feeling of a tender parent, that they would hearken to his words, that perhaps the Lord would be merciful to them, and not cast them off; yea, my father did preach unto them.

 Image result for free picture and quotes for Lehi's dream

Even if you have studied Lehi’s vision many times, this time think about it the way Lehi did—think of someone you love. As you do, the security of the iron rod, the dangers of the spacious building, and the sweetness of the fruit will take on new meaning. And you will understand more deeply “all the feeling of [the] tender parent” who received this remarkable vision.

When we experience God’s love, we desire to help others experience it.
I have a question for each of you to ponder on—well, maybe more than one question😊 but here comes the first one: Don’t you think that it is pretty normal thing for us to share the things that we love with all of the people that we love???  So, what do you love? What would yo share?

I love my Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, whois my Savior and each of yours too!I believe it is quite normal, but what do you think? I will be the first to admit, sometimes it is hard to share the gospel with the ones you love, but I still try to share with them the best things in my life😊

My granddaughter who is almost nineteen told me just the other day that she listens to me even when I talk about God because I don’t get too preachy😊I took that as a good thing—wouldn’t you think so? My little grandson who is six likes to read the stories about Jesus – not all the time mind you, but he will come and ask me to read him one of my stories about Jesus or he will ask if we can watch one of our videos about Jesus😊

 Image result for free picture and quotes for Lehi's dream

I am going to try teaching him about Lehi’s vision of the Tree of Life this coming week and see I believe it will help him understand it better if I use some visuals – I found some here: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/media-library/images/categories/book-of-mormon-videos-images?lang=eng

It’s natural to share things we love with people we love, but sometimes we find it hard to share the gospel. You too, might try a good discussion about Lehi’s vision as it may help you and your family members and friends to find some good opportunities to share the gospel with those around them. 

Another thing that you might try is to give a family member and / or friend a piece of fruit and ask him or her to persuade the rest of your family study group to eat this fruit regularly. Here is another question coming at you😊 How do you think that this object lesson is similar to Lehi’s experience in 1 Nephi 8:10–16

 Image result for free picture and quotes for Lehi's dream

1 Nephi 8:10–16                Book of Mormon
10 And it came to pass that I beheld a tree, whose fruit was desirable to make one happy.
11 And it came to pass that I did go forth and partake of the fruit thereof; and I beheld that it was most sweet, above all that I ever before tasted. Yea, and I beheld that the fruit thereof was white, to exceed all the whiteness that I had ever seen.

12 And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy; wherefore, I began to be desirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit.
13 And as I cast my eyes round about, that perhaps I might discover my family also, I beheld a river of water; and it ran along, and it was near the tree of which I was partaking the fruit.

14 And I looked to behold from whence it came; and I saw the head thereof a little way off; and at the head thereof I beheld your mother Sariah, and Sam, and Nephi; and they stood as if they knew not whither they should go.
15 And it came to pass that I beckoned unto them; and I also did say unto them with a loud voice that they should come unto me, and partake of the fruit, which was desirable above all other fruit.
16 And it came to pass that they did come unto me and partake of the fruit also.

You know what time it is? You got it; it is question time😊What do we learn from Lehi’s experience that will help us as we share the gospel? As part of your discussion with your family members and friends, you may want to share the video “Good Things to Share” (ChurchofJesusChrist.org).

Image result for free picture and quotes for Lehi's dream

I was unable to find this video with sound, I am not sure if it originally h sound or not, but you can still get the gist of what it is trying to teach you even without sound😊 Wait!!! I found it here with sound --- Yeah!!!! 😊 https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/media-library/video/2015-05-2011-good-things-to-share?lang=eng

Elder David A. Bednar taught, “The fruit on the tree is a symbol for the blessings of the Atonement” (“Lehi’s Dream: Holding Fast to the Rod,” Ensign or Liahona, Oct. 2011, 34).

Something else you might want to consider asking your family members and friends is to reflect on 1 Nephi 8:11–16 and think about questions like these: How would I describe the sweetness that the Atonement of Jesus Christ has brought into my life? How have I beckoned to others to taste its sweetness? (see verse 15).

 How have others invited me to seek the blessings of the Savior’s Atonement? What am I inspired to do as I read 1 Nephi 8:11–16? This could possible be the beginning of a wonderful discussion with your family members and friends😊 The following comes from the Come, Follow Me for Individuals and families manual:

 Image result for free picture and quotes for Lehi's dream

Ideas for Personal Scripture Study
The word of God leads me to the Savior and helps me feel His love.

Lehi’s vision offers an invitation to reflect on where you are—and where you are going—in your personal journey to know the Savior and feel His love. President Boyd K. Packer taught: “You may think that Lehi’s dream or vision has no special meaning for you, but it does. You are in it; all of us are in it (see 1 Nephi 19:23).  

1 Nephi 19:23           Book of Mormon

23 And I did read many things unto them which were written in the books of Moses; but that I might more fully persuade them to believe in the Lord their Redeemer I did read unto them that which was written by the prophet Isaiah; for I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning

Lehi’s dream or vision of the iron rod has in it everything a … Latter-day Saint needs to understand the test of life” (“Lehi’s Dream and You,” New Era, Jan. 2015, 2).  

One way to study 1 Nephi 8 could be to fill out a chart like the one shown here. To understand the meaning of the symbols, it is helpful to refer to the vision that Nephi had when he prayed to understand his father’s vision—see especially 1 Nephi 11:4–25, 32–36; 12:16–18; and 15:21–33, 36. As you study Lehi’s vision, consider what the Lord wants you to learn.\


Symbol from Lehi’s vision Meanings Questions to ponder
Tree and its fruit (1 Nephi 8:10–12)
What am I doing to invite others to partake of the love of God?
River (1 Nephi 8:13)

Rod of iron (1 Nephi 8:19–20, 30)

Mist of darkness (1 Nephi 8:23)

Great and spacious building (1 Nephi 8:26–27, 33)




 See also David A. Bednar, 
See also David A. Bednar, “Lehi’s Dream: Holding Fast to the Rod,” Ensign or Liahona, Oct. 2011, 33–37.  

 Image result for free picture and quotes for Lehi's dream

The word of God leads us to the Savior and helps us feel His love.
One way to begin a discussion about Lehi’s vision is to invite a few class members to draw a representation of the vision on the board, using 1 Nephi 8:19–38 as a guide.
1 Nephi 8:19–38                Book of Mormon
19 And I beheld a rod of iron, and it extended along the bank of the river, and led to the tree by which I stood.
20 And I also beheld a strait and narrow path, which came along by the rod of iron, even to the tree by which I stood; and it also led by the head of the fountain, unto a large and spacious field, as if it had been a world.

21 And I saw numberless concourses of people, many of whom were pressing forward, that they might obtain the path which led unto the tree by which I stood.
22 And it came to pass that they did come forth, and commence in the path which led to the tree.
23 And it came to pass that there arose a mist of darkness; yea, even an exceedingly great mist of darkness, insomuch that they who had commenced in the path did lose their way, that they wandered off and were lost.

24 And it came to pass that I beheld others pressing forward, and they came forth and caught hold of the end of the rod of iron; and they did press forward through the mist of darkness, clinging to the rod of iron, even until they did come forth and partake of the fruit of the tree.
25 And after they had partaken of the fruit of the tree they did cast their eyes about as if they were ashamed.

 Image result for free picture and quotes for Lehi's dream

26 And I also cast my eyes round about, and beheld, on the other side of the river of water, a great and spacious building; and it stood as it were in the air, high above the earth.
27 And it was filled with people, both old and young, both male and female; and their manner of dress was exceedingly fine; and they were in the attitude of mocking and pointing their fingers towards those who had come at and were partaking of the fruit.
28 And after they had tasted of the fruit they were ashamed, because of those that were scoffing at them; and they fell away into forbidden paths and were lost.

29 And now I, Nephi, do not speak all the words of my father.
30 But, to be short in writing, behold, he saw other multitudes pressing forward; and they came and caught hold of the end of the rod of iron; and they did press their way forward, continually holding fast to the rod of iron, until they came forth and fell down and partook of the fruit of the tree.
31 And he also saw other multitudes feeling their way towards that great and spacious building.

32 And it came to pass that many were drowned in the depths of the fountain; and many were lost from his view, wandering in strange roads.
33 And great was the multitude that did enter into that strange building. And after they did enter into that building they did point the finger of scorn at me and those that were partaking of the fruit also; but we heeded them not.
34 These are the words of my father: For as many as heeded them, had fallen away.
35 And Laman and Lemuel partook not of the fruit, said my father.

 Image result for free picture and quotes for Lehi's dream

36 And it came to pass after my father had spoken all the words of his dream or vision, which were many, he said unto us, because of these things which he saw in a vision, he exceedingly feared for Laman and Lemuel; yea, he feared lest they should be cast off from the presence of the Lord.
37 And he did exhort them then with all the feeling of a tender parent, that they would hearken to his words, that perhaps the Lord would be merciful to them, and not cast them off; yea, my father did preach unto them.
38 And after he had preached unto them, and also prophesied unto them of many things, he bade them to keep the commandments of the Lord; and he did cease speaking unto them.

Or you could show the picture of Lehi’s vision from this week’s outline in Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families. https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/come-follow-me-for-individuals-and-families-book-of-mormon-2020/03?lang=eng
You could then invite each family member and / or friend to find verses that give an interpretation of one of the symbols in the drawing or picture—these interpretations can be found in 1 Nephi 11:4–25, 35–36; 12:16–18; and 15:21–33, 36.


Image result for free picture and quotes for Lehi's dream


As you and / or your family members and friends share what they found, you could ask them to discuss what these symbols teach us.
Are you all ready for a few more questions??? Here they are😊 What does a great and spacious building teach us about pride? What does a rod of iron teach us about the word of God? You may also want to talk about how Lehi’s vision has helped you and / or your family members and friends come unto Christ. How have you seen yourself in others?

The importance of the word of God is one prominent message in Lehi’s vision. It is symbolized by the iron rod. Something that may help you to emphasize that message, is if you have enough people in your little family study group, you could divide them into four groups and ask each group to learn about the four groups of people that Lehi saw, as described in the following:

Four groups of people in Lehi’s dream.
Group 1.
“In 1 Nephi 8:21–23 we learn about the first group of people who pressed forward and commenced in the path that led to the tree of life. However, as the people encountered the mist of darkness, which represents ‘the temptations of the devil’ (1 Nephi 12:17), they lost their way, wandered off, and were lost. Notice that no mention is made in these verses of the rod of iron. Those who ignore or treat lightly the word of God do not have access to that divine compass which points the way to the Savior.”


Image result for free picture quotes for q nephi

Group 2.
“In 1 Nephi 8:24–28 we read about a second group of people who obtained the strait and narrow path that led to the tree of life. This group ‘did press forward through the mist of darkness, clinging to the rod of iron, even until they did come forth and partake of the fruit of the tree’ (verse 24). However, as the finely dressed occupants of the great and spacious building mocked this second group of people, ‘they were ashamed’ and ‘fell away into forbidden paths and were lost’ (verse 28). … Even with faith, commitment, and the word of God, this group eventually was lost—perhaps because they only periodically read or studied or searched the scriptures.”

Group 3.
“In verse 30 we read about a third group of people who pressed forward ‘continually holding fast to the rod of iron, until they came forth and fell down and partook of the fruit of the tree.’ The key phrase in this verse is continually holding fast to the rod of iron. The third group also pressed forward with faith and conviction; however, there is no indication that they wandered off, fell into forbidden paths, or were lost. Perhaps this third group of people consistently read and studied and searched the scriptures. … This is the group you and I should strive to join.”

Group 4.
“A fourth group did not seek after the tree, desiring instead the great and spacious building as their ultimate destination (see 1 Nephi 8:31–33).”
(David A. Bednar, “Lehi’s Dream: Holding Fast to the Rod,” Ensign or Liahona, Oct. 2011,34–36.)


Related image 
Next, you and your family members and friends could share with one another what you have learned. Then you could take a few minutes for you and your family members and friends to ponder what you individually or as a family feel impressed to do to ensure that you are each individually and as a family are “holding fast to the rod of iron” (1 Nephi 8:30). The following comes from the Come, Follow Me for Individuals and Families manual:

Ideas for Personal Scripture Study


Why did Nephi make two sets of plates?

The Lord’s “wise purpose” in having Nephi create two records became clear centuries later. After Joseph Smith translated the first 116 manuscript pages of the Book of Mormon, he gave the pages to Martin Harris, who lost them (see Doctrine and Covenants 10:1–23).



But Nephi’s second set of plates covered the same time period, and the Lord commanded Joseph Smith to translate these plates rather than retranslate what had been lost (see Doctrine and Covenants 10:38–45).


For more about the plates mentioned in 1 Nephi 9, https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/scriptures/bofm/1-ne/9?lang=eng see “A Brief Explanation about the Book of Mormon”; 


God will reveal truth to us if we diligently seek it.
What do you think are the Mists of darkness that obscure our path and the confusing messages the world is sending like the mocking voices from the great and spacious building that can make it hard for us to find the truth? It may be beneficial for you and your family members and friends to be reading together about Nephi’s example as a seeker of truth? 

One way to begin the discussion with your family members and friends would be by asking them to identify some of these Mists of darkness and the confusing messages. Here’s another question for you and your family members and friends: What worldly ideas did the prophets and apostles warn us about in the October 2019 general conference? 

You might want to consider making a list of the things that your family and friends come up with of the Mists of darkness and the confusing messages that the world is sending us today and write them on a piece of poster board of the steps that Nephi took to gain his own witness of the truth of his father’s vision (see 1 Nephi 10:17–19; 11:1). 

How can we each follow His example as we earnestly seek to find the truth? The following comes from the Come, Follow Me for Individuals and Families manual: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/come-follow-me-for-sunday-school-book-of-mormon-2020/03?lang=eng

Ideas for Personal Scripture Study
Ancient prophets knew about Jesus Christ’s mission and testified of Him.
The account of Lehi’s vision surely made an impression on his family, but he still had other eternal truths to teach them about the Savior’s mission. As you read 1 Nephi 10:2–16, think about why the Lord would want Lehi’s family—and all of us—to know these truths.

Consider what you could tell your loved ones to invite them to turn to the Savior. After studying Lehi’s vision and teachings, what are you, like Nephi, inspired to learn “by the power of the Holy Ghost”? (1 Nephi 10:17).
I remember giving a lesson in primary a few years back on Lehi’s dream and we did the following activity:

Have two children stand in front of the class, one on one side of the room and one on the other. Have the first child hold the card labeled Birth, and have the second child hold the card labeled Eternal Life. Blindfold a third child. After turning the child around a few times, see if he or she can walk from the first child to the second child without help. 

Then have the two children stretch the rope or string between them, each holding an end. Have the blindfolded child try again to go from the first child to the second child, this time holding on to the rope. Discuss why the second time was easier than the first. Explain that while we live on earth we are all trying to return to Heavenly Father. He has given us something to hold on to so we can find our way back to him.
  • What has Heavenly Father given us to lead us back to his presence? Our Heavenly Father has given us the scriptures, the living  prophets, and  the Holy Ghost. I used the following handout with the lesson: 

  • Image result for tree of life lesson ideas lds
The tree. (1 Nephi 8:10)
The love of God in giving the world his Only Begotten Son. (1 Nephi 11:21–22; John 3:16)
The fruit. (1 Nephi 8:11)
Eternal life. (1 Nephi 15:36; D&C 14:7)
The rod of iron. (1 Nephi 8:19)
The word of God. (1 Nephi 15:23–24)
Mist of darkness. (1 Nephi 8:23)
Temptations of the devil. (1 Nephi 12:17)
Great and spacious building. (1 Nephi 8:26–27)
Pride of the world. (1 Nephi 11:36)

I believe that sometimes it is easier to understand things when we do them at our children’s level and then move up as we learn the subject better. So if you are new to the Church oreven if you are not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints, or if you have young children in your family study group you may want to consider this as well😊 another resource for this lesson  you is lds living, you can dis it here: http://www.ldsliving.com/Book-of-Mormon-Lesson-3-The-Vision-of-the-Tree-of-Life/s/67223

God will reveal truth to me if I diligently seek it.
How do you respond when you encounter a gospel principle that you don’t understand? Note the differences between the way Nephi responded to Lehi’s vision (see 1 Nephi 10:17–19; 11:1) and the way Laman and Lemuel responded (see 1 Nephi 15:1–10). Why did they respond in these ways, and what were the results of their responses?

 Image result for tree of life lesson ideas lds

Consider writing about a time when you wanted to know if a gospel teaching was true. How did the process you followed compare with what Nephi did?
The following comes from the Come, Follow Me for Individuals and Families manual:
Ideas for Family Scripture Study and Family Home Evening
As you read the scriptures with your family, the Spirit can help you know what principles to emphasize and discuss in order to meet the needs of your family. Here are some ideas.

Your family members might enjoy reenacting Lehi’s vision or drawing pictures and using their drawings to tell about it. Or you could show the artist’s depiction of Lehi’s vision that accompanies this lesson and invite family members to point out details and look for scriptures that describe what these things represent.

The hymn “The Iron Rod” (Hymns, no. 274) goes well with this chapter. You might also watch a video depicting Lehi’s vision (see the Book of Mormon Videos collection on ChurchofJesusChrist.org or the Gospel Library app). https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/media-library/video/categories/book-of-mormon-videos?lang=eng&_r=1
Image result for tree of life lesson ideas lds

For an interactive experience for you and your family, download the Tree of Life AR app here. Available now for iOS and Android devices.
Who could we invite to come closer to Jesus Christ and feel the sweetness of His love? What can we do to “[beckon] unto them”?

When have we followed a commandment without fully understanding the reasons for it? How were we blessed?
1 Nephi 9:5–6             Book of Mormon
5 Wherefore, the Lord hath commanded me to make these plates for a wise purpose in him, which purpose I know not.
6 But the Lord knoweth all things from the beginning; wherefore, he prepareth a way to accomplish all his works among the children of men; for behold, he hath all power unto the fulfilling of all his words. And thus it is. Amen.

How is being physically unclean similar to being spiritually unclean? What can we do to make sure we are remaining spiritually clean?

1 Nephi 10:20–22             Book of Mormon
20 Therefore remember, O man, for all thy doings thou shalt be brought into judgment.
21 Wherefore, if ye have sought to do wickedly in the days of your probation, then ye are found unclean before the judgment-seat of God; and no unclean thing can dwell with God; wherefore, ye must be cast off forever.
22 And the Holy Ghost giveth authority that I should speak these things, and deny them not.

For more ideas for teaching children, see this week’s outline in Come, Follow Me—For Primary.
 
Image result for tree of life lesson ideas lds

Our readings for next week will be covering 1 Nephi 11–15, you can ask your family members and friends to find out what the following images have to do with Lehi’s dream: the infant Jesus, a cross, the mother of harlots, multitudes gathered together to battle, and books.

I know that there are so many more things for us to learn from Lehi’s Dream, so I will be continuing my study on this subject as I am going to challenge each one of you to do as well. I also know that we will be covering Lehi’s Dream later on in another lesson,

when his son Nephi desires to learn more about his father’s dream😊 I hope and I pray that you have learned a lot in your study this week about Lehi’s Dream😊 please do continue studying with me, and your cyber study buddies! Don’t forget to check out the following videos as well. They are wonderful.
Book of Mormon videos.
Consider showing a video that depicts events from these chapters (see the Book of Mormon Videos collection on ChurchofJesusChrist.org or the Gospel Library app). https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/videos/book-of-mormon-videos?lang=eng
Image result for tree of life lesson ideas lds
Please remember who you are!! --- You Are a Child of God😊 Continue to say your prayers and remember it has been said that when you want to talk to God – you pray, when you want God to talk to you, you red and study your scriptures. And this includes the words of our Latter-day Prophets😊
 
As always, I hope, and I pray that each one of you are learning a lot with our study time together. Please continue to keep the commandments and serve and help one another. Share what you are learning with your family members and friends as it is important for everyone to learn the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 

Well, everyone it is getting late here – or very early, depending on how you look at it. Anyway, I am going to close this post for today, so until my next poet, please make it a spectacular week😊

No comments:

Post a Comment